Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 03:52 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times

Advertisements

We previously lived in Alexandria and our experience with driving from 95 to 64 to Williamsburg etc was always on the weekends or holidays. It was always a nightmare. Just wondering how bad it is to get from Williamsburg to 95 during the week, off-peak hrs. We know how bad 95 heading north can be so not worried about that.

We will be heading up to DC quite a bit and it looks like there is an amtrak station in Williamsburg. Is that a viable way to get up there?

We currently are in FL in a tourist area and are hoping that the residual parts of Williamsburg aren't overwhelmed like they are here. We are looking at Ford's Colony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 03:42 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
We previously lived in Alexandria and our experience with driving from 95 to 64 to Williamsburg etc was always on the weekends or holidays. It was always a nightmare. Just wondering how bad it is to get from Williamsburg to 95 during the week, off-peak hrs. We know how bad 95 heading north can be so not worried about that.

We will be heading up to DC quite a bit and it looks like there is an amtrak station in Williamsburg. Is that a viable way to get up there?

We currently are in FL in a tourist area and are hoping that the residual parts of Williamsburg aren't overwhelmed like they are here. We are looking at Ford's Colony.
I live in Williamsburg and commute to Alexandria once a week. I leave the house before 4AM and head home around 1PM. Both ways the drive takes a little over 2 hours. Leaving later on either end the time increases exponentially.

It depends on your schedule if Amtrak would work for you. The train from Williamsburg takes about 3 hours and 20 minutes to get to Alexandria and another 30 minutes to get to DC. About the same going back.

I wouldn't do it for a daily commute. I might consider it if we were planning to stay for a while but then getting around without a car is impractical.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I live in Williamsburg and commute to Alexandria once a week. I leave the house before 4AM and head home around 1PM. Both ways the drive takes a little over 2 hours. Leaving later on either end the time increases exponentially.

It depends on your schedule if Amtrak would work for you. The train from Williamsburg takes about 3 hours and 20 minutes to get to Alexandria and another 30 minutes to get to DC. About the same going back.

I wouldn't do it for a daily commute. I might consider it if we were planning to stay for a while but then getting around without a car is impractical.
Thanks. This is definitely not a daily commute, just heading up to see our daughter in college. And for her to come home if she wants. We are used to being in DC without a car, as we fly up there both for work and to see her at least twice a month. Getting tired of the flights as it takes all day, and with retirement, we can go wherever we want since she will most likely stay in DC area for law school or work figured we could be within driving distance. We don't want or need to be back in Alexandria area. But need out of Flordia!

Old 03-21-2023, 03:18 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:

We are looking at Ford's Colony.
Because by Fredericksburg, 95's traffic is so bad, it's like a circle of hell.

I love the Williamsburg Amtrak station! I take the morning train and return on the afternoon train. I have 4/5 hours to spend visiting my kids. No traffic! No worries! I also take the train to DC & take a quick taxi ride to Reagan Airport. This train also stops at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

The only thing is the schedule time changes. There is always a train morning train, but the time changes anywhere from 6 to 8 am.

From what I've heard Ford's Colony has gone bankrupted a couple of times. Just have a lawyer look at its financials first. I know people who love it. People also love Windsor Forest, Powhatan and Colonial Heritage too.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Because by Fredericksburg, 95's traffic is so bad, it's like a circle of hell.

I love the Williamsburg Amtrak station! I take the morning train and return on the afternoon train. I have 4/5 hours to spend visiting my kids. No traffic! No worries! I also take the train to DC & take a quick taxi ride to Reagan Airport. This train also stops at Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

The only thing is the schedule time changes. There is always a train morning train, but the time changes anywhere from 6 to 8 am.

From what I've heard Ford's Colony has gone bankrupted a couple of times. Just have a lawyer look at its financials first. I know people who love it. People also love Windsor Forest, Powhatan and Colonial Heritage too.
Thanks for the info. Since it will be for pleasure not work traveling up to DC we are pretty flexible. I have spent many hours in the circle of hell that is 95! We Amtrak up to NYC and Boston often when we lived in DC, and loved it. Just never went south.

Also good to know about Fords Colony...

Old 04-01-2023, 02:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:

Amtrak would be a great alternative to driving and dealing with 95. I lived in Arlington and drove back home to/from Hampton pretty often which is a 2.5 to 3 hour drive if you are lucky. So I understand fully about how wild that drive can be. Definitely do the train if the schedule allows.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:54 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
FYI
Ford’s Colony has never gone bankrupt. I’m a local real estate agent and have sold homes there for the last 20 years. The golf course and the original Developer had financial issues but that never seemed to affect property values .that was back during the recession and Homes dropped in price just like every other community across the country.

I think the community has one of the strongest finances of any community around.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
FYI
Ford’s Colony has never gone bankrupt. I’m a local real estate agent and have sold homes there for the last 20 years. The golf course and the original Developer had financial issues but that never seemed to affect property values .that was back during the recession and Homes dropped in price just like every other community across the country.

I think the community has one of the strongest finances of any community around.
Thanks for the update.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:41 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

During the week, it's fine. I went to a funeral in MD a few months back, and drove home on a Monday, around noon. It really was a piece of cake. Nothing like the drive up on Sunday morning.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
During the week, it's fine. I went to a funeral in MD a few months back, and drove home on a Monday, around noon. It really was a piece of cake. Nothing like the drive up on Sunday morning.
I feel ya! It took us six hours to get home one Sunday, we thought we left early enough...half of DC metro had been in VA beach that weekend! We eventually had to get gas and got off on Rt 1. Not a great idea either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area