Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,441 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be stationed ( Navy ) in Norfolk next year and I was wondering if anyone can give us some info about where to rent a home, and an idea of prices, no appartments. I have heard that the commute to the base is very very bad. Does anyone have any suggestions. We'd like a quiet place, we don't have any children. Near to the base would be nice but I hear there is a lot of traffic and a ten minute drive takes over an hour . Thank you very much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

161 posts, read 563,325 times
traffic can be a bear. but, usually, dh is at work before the heavy traffic starts and he is home before the interstate becomes a parking lot. we lived in the greenbrier area of chesapeake when we first moved here. it was very close to 64 which goes all the way to base. i think it took dh 30 or so minutes to get to work, sometimes less. we rented an apartment behind greenbrier mall so i am not sure about houses for rent. have you tried ahrn.com? or militarybyowner.com?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
The HOV lane is open in the morning to the base and during the evening hours from the base for ALL traffic. It normally takes me 20 minutes to get to the base when I leave from home at 5:30 am. The only places I've experienced backups is at the interchanges.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
The HOV lane is open in the morning to the base and during the evening hours from the base for ALL traffic. It normally takes me 20 minutes to get to the base when I leave from home at 5:30 am. The only places I've experienced backups is at the interchanges.
Yes, but if you live in Norfolk, then you can't get on the HOV...no entrances. I truely believe Virginia Beach built it and wouldn't let Norfolk participate.

There are a lot of good places to live in the area. My recommendation is to let an agent help you. When we were looking, we found an agent that did good by us. Barbara Fischer - William E. Wood and Associates, REALTORS®
And no, I don't get any commission, she just helped us out a bunch!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,892 times
After 18 years 10 min. from gate 4 our 3BR house is for sale.
We liked it.
Thanks.
[email]kenjae7277@gmail.com[/email]

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex2008 View Post
My husband and I will be stationed ( Navy ) in Norfolk next year and I was wondering if anyone can give us some info about where to rent a home, and an idea of prices, no appartments. I have heard that the commute to the base is very very bad. Does anyone have any suggestions. We'd like a quiet place, we don't have any children. Near to the base would be nice but I hear there is a lot of traffic and a ten minute drive takes over an hour . Thank you very much for any help.
If you are going to work in Norfolk, make sure to live somewhere on the "southside." Any commute involving the bridge tunnels can become a pain in short order. There are a lot of back-ups on them during rush hour.

The "southside" includes Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Chesapeke or Virginia Beach.

I'm glad to hear that you want to rent for a bit. This will give you the chance to get to know the area before you decide to buy a house down the road. A place that seems like a good idea at first, may end up being all wrong for you in a year.

As someone else mentioned, the "Greenbriar" area of Chesapeake has some nice homes and shopping amenities and is right off of interstate 64. The commute shouldn't be too bad, depending on what time you go to and get off of work.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skivhere View Post
Yes, but if you live in Norfolk, then you can't get on the HOV...no entrances. I truely believe Virginia Beach built it and wouldn't let Norfolk participate.

I-64 in Norfolk has a 8-mile-long 2-lane barrier-separated reversible roadway for peak period HOV-2 traffic, and another 7 miles of left diamond HOV-2 lanes.
I-564 in Norfolkhas 3 miles of left diamond HOV-2 lanes.
I-264 Norfolk-Virginia Beach Expressway (old VA-44) has 10 miles of left diamond HOV-2 lanes.
I-264 in Norfolk has 5 miles of left diamond HOV-2 lanes.

Virginia Freeway HOV Lanes

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex2008 View Post
Traffic can be crazy around here but you will soon learn that most people dont pick where they want to live based on the traffic. Its just something you learn to deal with, but I agree it may be best to stay on the southside just so you dont have to mess with the tunnels. The HOV's are a waste on I64 north of 264 unless you are traveling to the base as it is a seperate roadway blocked my a median and you can only get off and on at two points.......another thing to think about is that some secondary roads are just as congested as it is on the interstate. The bottom line is just find a place that you and your husband like and move in..... I have heard people say...I hate where I live but its close to work....I dont understand that way of thinking.....I would rather drive another 15-30 minutes each way everyday and enjoy where I live...Good luck

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,055 times
I agree with everyone on here. If you are going to be stationed in Norfolk- try to find a place on that side of the water (Norfolk, Va beach, Chespeake, etc). Yes you may still run into traffic but you wont have to deal with the tunnels.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 23,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Traffic can be crazy around here but you will soon learn that most people dont pick where they want to live based on the traffic. Its just something you learn to deal with, but I agree it may be best to stay on the southside just so you dont have to mess with the tunnels. The HOV's are a waste on I64 north of 264 unless you are traveling to the base as it is a seperate roadway blocked my a median and you can only get off and on at two points.......another thing to think about is that some secondary roads are just as congested as it is on the interstate. The bottom line is just find a place that you and your husband like and move in..... I have heard people say...I hate where I live but its close to work....I dont understand that way of thinking.....I would rather drive another 15-30 minutes each way everyday and enjoy where I live...Good luck
[SIZE=3]I just moved to SOUTH Suffolk 55min to gate 4 love my house and the distance is 55 min traffic is not that bad. I agree I got a 2500 sq foot house on 3 acres of land and live well away from the crime and mess of the city. Every Saturday I see all the city folks driving by my neighborhood to escape that mess. I stayed in Norfolk for 2 weeks , I never saw so many prostitutes and drug dealers in my life…and I used to live in LA. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area