Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Having been around Hampton Roads since the 80s, it just seems to me that professional sports are getting farther and farther out of reach. Hampton Roads has a growing population, but it's growing ever so slowly. While HR was the largest metro in the nation without professional sports 10 years ago, other sports-less metros are now larger (Las Vegas, Columbus, soon Austin) and I'd wager that by 2030 a heaping handfull of sportsless metros will be larger than Hampton Roads. In 1990, HR was the 27th largest metro in the country. In 2000 it was th 31st largest. 2007 Census estimates placed it at 34th. See the trend? Between 1990-2000, HR ranked 201st in the nation for population growth rate. It's a very slow growing area compared to those surpassing (and catching up to) HR.

BUT, there are metros smaller than HR which make it work. Therefore, I think more important than metro population, is media market size. HR has a tiny TV market, even for a metro its size. That makes it harder to get out to a large population of fans, harder to sell advertising (and the advertising you sell is cheaper), harder to sell apparel at Modells locations for hundreds of miles around, and all of that stuff is where the moolah is. People in Richmond or Rocky Mount or Charlottesville aren't going to buy the Norfolk/HR team's stuff if they can't watch the Norfolk Sports Network (NSN) starring Bruce Rader broadcast games live to their homes. Or if the Norfolk/HR team's victories are blasted on the cover of the Virginian-Pilot, which isn't circulated very much outside the 7 cities. IMO, the propaganda has to make it to a larger market. Other cities outside your own region have to own this team as well. The team can be called the Virginia _____, the Norfolk ______ or the Hampton Roads _______, whatever. But when a game winning home run, touchdown pass, or victory in triple overtime is made, millions of people between Fredericksburg, Ocean City MD, Richmond, Lynchburg, Raleigh, Rocky Mount and the Outer Banks need to hear about it. They need to get excited about it, and they need to buy jerseys, buy the XL drink at KFC with the team logo on it, buy lotto scratch tickets with the team logo on it, and buy products advertised in the media outlets which broadcast the games. Can a team in HR compete with teams in DC, the Carolinas, etc. for fans in those outer areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Having been around Hampton Roads since the 80s, it just seems to me that professional sports are getting farther and farther out of reach. Hampton Roads has a growing population, but it's growing ever so slowly. While HR was the largest metro in the nation without professional sports 10 years ago, other sports-less metros are now larger (Las Vegas, Columbus, soon Austin) and I'd wager that by 2030 a heaping handfull of sportsless metros will be larger than Hampton Roads. In 1990, HR was the 27th largest metro in the country. In 2000 it was th 31st largest. 2007 Census estimates placed it at 34th. See the trend? Between 1990-2000, HR ranked 201st in the nation for population growth rate. It's a very slow growing area compared to those surpassing (and catching up to) HR.

BUT, there are metros smaller than HR which make it work. Therefore, I think more important than metro population, is media market size. HR has a tiny TV market, even for a metro its size. That makes it harder to get out to a large population of fans, harder to sell advertising (and the advertising you sell is cheaper), harder to sell apparel at Modells locations for hundreds of miles around, and all of that stuff is where the moolah is. People in Richmond or Rocky Mount or Charlottesville aren't going to buy the Norfolk/HR team's stuff if they can't watch the Norfolk Sports Network (NSN) starring Bruce Rader broadcast games live to their homes. Or if the Norfolk/HR team's victories are blasted on the cover of the Virginian-Pilot, which isn't circulated very much outside the 7 cities. IMO, the propaganda has to make it to a larger market. Other cities outside your own region have to own this team as well. The team can be called the Virginia _____, the Norfolk ______ or the Hampton Roads _______, whatever. But when a game winning home run, touchdown pass, or victory in triple overtime is made, millions of people between Fredericksburg, Ocean City MD, Richmond, Lynchburg, Raleigh, Rocky Mount and the Outer Banks need to hear about it. They need to get excited about it, and they need to buy jerseys, buy the XL drink at KFC with the team logo on it, buy lotto scratch tickets with the team logo on it, and buy products advertised in the media outlets which broadcast the games. Can a team in HR compete with teams in DC, the Carolinas, etc. for fans in those outer areas?

This is well put. The media is also an extreme issue with Hampton Roads. Its pretty much a joke, and not even a blip on the national radar.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
I want a pro team here so bad! Preferably baseball or basketball, but reading through the discussion is making me think it ain't gonna happen. I'm moving to San Fran soon though, so I guess I better buy a Giants hat.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Having been around Hampton Roads since the 80s, it just seems to me that professional sports are getting farther and farther out of reach. Hampton Roads has a growing population, but it's growing ever so slowly. While HR was the largest metro in the nation without professional sports 10 years ago, other sports-less metros are now larger (Las Vegas, Columbus, soon Austin) and I'd wager that by 2030

Columbus actually has a team. I know they slip under the radar, but the Blue Jackets have been in the NHL since 2000.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Columbus actually has a team. I know they slip under the radar, but the Blue Jackets have been in the NHL since 2000.
Ah, see, they need a better media outlet! LOL. Thanks for the correction.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ah, see, they need a better media outlet! LOL. Thanks for the correction.
Ha, I bet half the fans of the NHL even forget about them. They are a fairly forgetable team. No playoff appearences, and a losing record every year of their existance, although, they are sitting at 8th in the conference right now this year, and might change that.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Not only that, C'bus has the Columbus Crew, of the MLS. HR doesn't even have a soccer team in the MLS. DC area does(DC United). I figured soccer markets don't have to be large, but even the HR region gets passed up.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM

97 posts, read 389,890 times
Oh I hope they will NOT get a professional sports team here. I lived in Jacksonville , FL for 2 1/2 years before they got the Jaguars and it was nice and a great place to live. Well, after they got the Jaguars it exploded in population and when I went back in 2004 it was crazy there. You think your traffic is bad here NOOOOOOO! After we came back here to Chesapeake I felt like I was living out in the country.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 AM

7 posts, read 16,962 times
Not going to happen, tunnels & bridges make it impossible for anyone outside of HR to come down and enjoy a game. You're trying to fit Richmond Metro and NOVA metro through two small tubes. Not happening.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
I don't think the people have the disposable income to pay the high ticket prices constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area