Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 30,056 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My husband and I live in NoVA and absolutely hate it here. Our living preference would be the Roanoke/Radford/Southwest VA area (we have family there), but he has a government job and would like to stay with the government. There seem to be a lot of government jobs in the Tidewater area and we are curious as to what living there is like. We want to stay away from Hampton Roads and Newport News and are looking at Suffolk or Williamsburg as possible areas to concentrate his job hunt.

His main concern is bad weather (hurricanes and tornadoes) and flooding issues. Neither of us want to live near the water, so we would like information on areas west of the ocean but within reasonable driving distance (about 30 minutes max) to Suffolk or Williamsburg.

I have read several posts indicating that the traffic is almost as bad as it is here in NoVA. Can anyone offer insights into life in this area? Is it a mini-NoVA or is it not as bad? We don't need a lot of cultural activities, and generally dislike city life, we just want a nice home and something away from the maddening crowds.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 AM

26,703 posts, read 41,844,575 times
suffolk and williamsbrg are part of hampton roads. the traffic is just slightly better than NoVA but still uggh. if u want to work in hampton or newport news york county would be a great option for u and you wouldn't have to deal with that much traffic. but you will scream when u make that commute if you have to cross the hampton roads tunnel. homes are a little more affordable in york county than in NoVA even more affordable on Hampton's northern side and Newport News' Denbigh and Menchville sections which are safe. trust me you are not the only who wants to get out of NoVA. i'd kill to back to HR.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,388,120 times
denbigh is getting sec 8 housing and is turning into the hood fast!
you might checkout smithville south of the james river, peaceful quit city kind of like mayberry

Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM

359 posts, read 1,841,032 times
Hey there. I grew up in Newport News and my hubby grew up in Hampton. We have no desire to move back, sad to say.

htlong means Smithfield, not smithville
It is a quaint town, but rapidly growing. My in-laws seem to all be slowly relocating over there and they like it quite a bit.

Williamsburg is much nicer, but also much more expensive. However, if you are selling a house in NoVA, a house in Williamsburg will be doable for you. If you can afford it, I'd check there first.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,388,120 times
yeah smithfield thats the ticket...........

Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 AM

26,703 posts, read 41,844,575 times
if having to choose btwn smithfield or w-burg smithfield gets the nod. more out of the way of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area