Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 AM

8 posts, read 7,192 times

Advertisements

Hi! I will be moving to Pennsylvania for work by the end of May. I found out I will be working in York and Lancaster most of the time. I don't know anything about Pennsylvania and never been out there. I am looking to live in either Lancaster or Harrisburg. I was wondering everyone opinion on which place would be more safe? I want to be able to live in downtown and be able to walk to bars and restaurants and feel self. I am a young in my 20s looking to meet people and have a good time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 04:35 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,954,954 times
I would recommend downtown Lancaster. The area around Franklin & Marshall would be fun, there are some walkable bars, restaurants and you're close to both Route 30 to get to York and Route 283 to get to Harrisburg. On the days that you work in Lancaster, you wouldn't have much of a commute. I personally would avoid trying to commute from Harrisburg to Lancaster or York until after you've been in your job for a year or so...being close to work and accessible to doing things with people after work (there are tons of cool happy hour places in Lancaster and York) near your job can be an advantage. Better shopping in Lancaster with Park City Mall and the outlets. Look along Harrisburg Pike (south of Route 30).

Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 PM

19 posts, read 26,667 times
Downtown Lancaster is by far better than York. I will argue that Lancaster has far more of an arts/culture scene than York also.
Traffic on Route 30 through York during rush hour is awful. I can drive through Lancaster city most of the time with few delays.
Commuting to either from Harrisburg will be a long, dull slog on a major highway that will shut down completely if there is a wreck.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:05 PM

23 posts, read 37,957 times
Hi there -

Downtown Lancaster is really fantastic for walkability...there are far more restaurants and things to do in Lancaster, and the average age of residents is 30 - so you're not alone, and there are tons of things to walk to. Restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream places, a pop up park, burritos, breweries, etc...

I will say - be sure to look for a place that has parking if you can find it (it will make your life easier), and if you have a dog - be sure to check out Buchanan park (one of the best dog parks in the country) and plan to live nearby.

As far as safety is concerned..check out the crime map, and this is a funny (but sort of true map) to help you out - there are always exceptions of course:

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,616,154 times
Lancaster would be your best choice for an urban lifestyle like that.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:35 PM

15,159 posts, read 27,864,435 times
The poster was moving at the end of May and hasn't come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area