Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 11,550 times

Advertisements

Let's be honest, "haole" is derogatory a LOT of the time. Caucasian people should not feel obligated to identify themselves with as "haole" just because they are in HI. I don't like being called the H word any more than African Americans like being called the N word.

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that this hate is most definitely taught by natives to keep mainlanders away from the 50th state. All US citizens should feel welcome to move to HI.

Last edited by montoya; 08-19-2010 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:04 AM

373 posts, read 1,172,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post
Let's be honest, "haole" is derogatory a LOT of the time. Caucasian people should not feel obligated to identify themselves with as "haole" just because they are in HI. I don't like being called the H word any more than African Americans like being called the N word.

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that it is deliberate, and it is most definitely taught by natives.
All Kama'aina (people born or who have lived in Hawaii for over 10 years or so) should vote on this issue.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,595,362 times
Having lived here in Hawaii for slightly over two weeks now I am completely comfortable as a "haole". However, should I ever start acting like a "f#@@k**g haole", you can feel free to kick my okole... No need for a vote....didn't work in florida...........

Aloha and,,,uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me,,, okolemaluna.....

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,629,340 times
Quote:

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that this hate is most definitely taught by natives to keep mainlanders away from the 50th state. All US citizens should feel welcome to move to HI.
Haven't you heard, if you have an issue... the problem is most likely with you. Trust me, you are wasting your time on this one. LOL

Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 AM

373 posts, read 1,172,960 times
"Caucasions are strange stange people. It's like they come from another planet. Their skin turns red when they try to tan it." - Frank Delima

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,545,333 times
Quote:

You seem to forget (or don't know) that the state has TWO official languages; Hawaiian and English. Using English wording in Hawaii is akin to using English words in France. It doesn't go over too well.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,133,047 times
Haole kine stay so arrogant. Caucasian people can identify themselves however they want, everyone else around here - including haole ha'oli - gonna call 'em haoles anyway.

Montoya dude, "native" doesn't really have a cultural context in Hawaii.

Don't we have three official languages? American English, Hawaiian and pidgin? Half the time we can speak Japanese and be understood as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

52 posts, read 209,589 times
Peel the skin back we are the same..............I am from the mainland and lived there for 40 some years. Home is where your heart is and my heart is here. Either you like me or you do not . I t will be your loss or your gain. I will give to the island and realise ALL of us are here on borrowed time and NONE own it. All of the people need to focus on how to get along and leave past in the past.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 PM

229 posts, read 931,566 times
A local guy the other day referred to me as "fair". I'll take that.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM

649 posts, read 3,449,483 times
I don't mind the term haole at all. I use it to describe myself. I find it a useful shorthand. Most of my haole friends also refer to themselves, and each other, using the term.

I don't want anybody dictating what I can call myself. If you don't want me to call you "haole" just tell me, and I'll respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii