Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 PM

44 posts, read 221,387 times

Advertisements

Im going there in the fall/winter for a visit (& to consider a move).....what can I expect from those of you that live near?? My dear friend lives there and has been asking me to come there for a loooooong time now. Im finally in a place to do that soon. Would love any info.....THX!! Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Nada?? Nobody has any info out there?

Old 09-02-2006, 03:32 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,713 times
Default kealakakua

Aloha phf919, I live on the other (wet) side of B.I. so I don't know a whole lot about Kealakekua, but have passed through there a few times. It is steep hilly country with lots of small farms, mostly coffee plantations. It is a small town with great ocean views about 10 miles south of Kailua-Kona. Try googling the name, as well as Captain Cook (the town,) which is larger and near Kealakekua. Also try West Hawaii Today, the Kona newspaper, which is available online.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:46 PM

THANK YOU!! Will do! I bought a couple of books on the B.I. but none of them mention Kealekekua. My friend does live near a small farm and coffee plantation. The place I wanted to rent was up in the trees and has an incredible view.....thx for replying!

Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,283 times
Cool Pearl City/Aiea

Aloha - I'm new to this site.
my husband and I are moving to the beautiful Island of Hawaii, which one I'm not sure of yet, which is why I am on this site. My husband will be working in Pearl Harbor, hence I figure we should live in pearl City/Aiea to cut his commute time. Can anyone tell me what is a good area in the latter? I've been checking online for an apartment, and they all seem so small. We currently live in Maryland and have a nice size condo 2beds/2baths 1100 sq. ft at 990.00 monthly. This area is very, very nice and it's gated with CAC, Alarm intrusion, etc. I know the cost of living is much higher in HI, which I don't mind paying the price for decent living. Now that you have a little background, what area close to pearl harbor do any of you think would be suitable for us (based on what i've shared) with rent being no higher than $1800.00?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,713 times
Default Right state, wong island

Aloha citylights. Sorry, you won't get much help here. You need to be on the Honolulu forum. Pearl city and Aiea are suburbs of Honolulu, on the island of Oahu, about 250 miles from this island of Hawaii, where Kealakekua is. I only saw Pearl Harbor once, about 20 years ago. Houses and apts. all over here in Hawaii are generally smaller than on the mainland, but if it has a lanai, that is a big plus, since once you acclimatize, you will probably spend a lot of time there. You might check the online classifieds for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin or Honolulu Advertiser for apts./houses in the area.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-23-2006 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM

50 posts, read 204,580 times
Default Anybody reading this in Kealakekua?

This thread seems to be stale. Hey, Leilani Guy, or anyone in South Kona? Any reflections on "a day in the life in South Kona"? As in, I went to the store, I bought a bottle of inexpensive wine for $50...(you know, loaf of bread, bottle of wine, rack of pork chops, gallon of milk, pack of smokes, filled up the propane, the car, et cetera, and it cost me $?). Just thinking over moving to HI, (and over and over).
Mahalo.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 PM

65 posts, read 432,861 times
Hmm? OK let me guess this.... ( I haven't been there in 13 months but I will try) inexpensive wine $8, bread $3.50, milk $5-6, meat no clue ( I'm vegan) smokes-I'm guessing $5, propane $14 at Home Depot gas probably 3.20 a gallon. Grocery stores have discount cards for locals so it helps alot. Forget the pork chops and just go fish! If you watch for sales then food isn't as bad as you think. I lived in Guam for 3 years. Now that was bad. $8 for a cantelope with fruit flies swarming around it. LOL

But on the flip side of this....how much is your gas bill in your house, how much are your winter boots, gloves, fall clothes, shoes, etc. In Hawaii you wear the same clothes year round, live in rubber slippers ($4 at longs drug) (flip flops) have no gas bill and even as long as the trade winds are in then you can get by without an air conditioner running.

People care less about what your clothes look like and what kind of a car you are driving.

I posted a message in Kauai retirement. You might want to read that. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,826 times
I have a weekend house in South Kona (WAY down, Milolii Beach Lots) and we've been actually living in it for the last month prior to our leaving Hawaii this coming Wednesday (for good). Kealakekua Bay is a great place for snorkeling and Kayak. We just did the latter and huge Mana Ray kept swimming under our kayak. I like Kealakekua a lot, it's got a little elevation so it's cooler than down in Kailua. It's still got that funky coffee plantation town look, albeit somewhat gentrified. It's close into Kailua-Kona and the only drawbacks you get in the area are too much traffic for the one road and vog. If I was going to stay on the island, Kealakekua area would be a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii