Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 02:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I totally agree that quarantining every arrival (and if every arrival, including residents, are quarantined, I think such a policy would be on much stronger legal ground) could stop the spread in Hawaii. I'm merely touching on the legal concerns that such a policy could bring about, specifically as it relates to only quarantining visitors for the pure sake of them being visitors, which is what I have taken issue with as a legal matter.
All of the calls by local officials to the Governor regarding quarantine has been to quarantine all arrivals.

For instance, there have been 2 cruise ships in Hawaii where nobody is allowed to disembark. Officials finally let 6 Hawaii residents off of the ship - they are now in quarantine.

Visitor arrivals are starting to come to a trickle anyway, might as well make it official. You can't go on tours, can't eat in a restaurant or bar (except BI for some reason) - lots of stores are closed - and quite frankly, regardless of destination, nobody should be traveling anywhere except essential travel (like a death in the family)

Old 03-21-2020, 02:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
True, but that doesn't negate my point. You can adequately protect the military without taking such drastic measures as stopping travel to Hawaii from outsiders/quarantining all visitors (note, this would only really be effective if you stopped ALL travel, including for residents traveling on and off island as returning residents can also bring the virus back with them just as easily as visitors can). Self quarantining (whether in on or off base housing) and limiting activity to base locations/off base military stores to military (and closing those establishments to non-military) would work as well.

I totally agree that quarantining every arrival (and if every arrival, including residents, are quarantined, I think such a policy would be on much stronger legal ground) could stop the spread in Hawaii. I'm merely touching on the legal concerns that such a policy could bring about, specifically as it relates to only quarantining visitors for the pure sake of them being visitors, which is what I have taken issue with as a legal matter.
We just got back from walking the cliffs at Kapalua Bay. There was a wedding going on at the beach, obviously non-locals, and the parking lot was full of rental cars. A quarantine would help prevent the spread of the virus. Let the courts decide if it was legal after the virus subsides (if it does).
Every bar-room lawyer has an opinion on what is, or is not, legal but we need to cut off the arrival of more people if we hope to contain this.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:00 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
I’m hearing majority of the cases are residents returning home from travel. Out of the 37 cases, 32 are residents.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:34 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I'm trying to get to Hawaii soon myself to kiss pretty girls. How do you think I'll do?
The girls will wave to you from 6 feet away. Social distancing, you know.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:

All returning residents could be quarantined in their homes, while arriving guests could be quarantined on military bases.
Would this meet legal requirements?

Edited to add, I just watched 4 arriving tourists cart a ton of luggage into my building. How do 4 adults need 8 suitcases of "stuff" for a visit to Hawaii?

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m hearing majority of the cases are residents returning home from travel. Out of the 37 cases, 32 are residents.
I've heard this too.

There's a common sense reason that many companies are stopping even all domestic business travel.

I personally don't get why people would want to use air travel with this Covid-19 pandemic going on right now anyhow. I would likely be okay if I got it since I am (newly turned) 50 and healthy but my older relatives might not be if I passed it onto them.

My area has only one case of Covid-19 and seriously, I would like to keep it that way. I can hold off on my travel and do it later on.

It would be particularly rough on an small geographic region like Hawaii.

Hawaii is safe from me I love cold climates so places like Iceland, northern Canada and hopefully someday Finland are on my radar for visiting.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Edited to add, I just watched 4 arriving tourists cart a ton of luggage into my building. How do 4 adults need 8 suitcases of "stuff" for a visit to Hawaii?
It's a widely known fact that laundry facilities do not exist in Hawaii, so visitors must bring all of the clothes they need for their entire visit. And right now, they have to pack extra in case they get quarantined.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Ko Olina just announced hotels shutting down Mar 24

Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
aclu is a plague in hawaii

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
governator and mayor press conference today at 3. Im hearing possible 2 week shelter in place to commence wednesday. At best, going to be a travel ban/mandatory quarantine. But pretty sure they're going to order the shelter in place. too many numbskulls ignoring the orders. UFC gym was still open as of yesterday.... I passed by, parking lot super full, tons of people going in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii