Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,974 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say I hope you pup does well I am sure I would feel like you if I were moving my dog and I have moved many a horse at huge prices and believe me animals do care how they travel. Shipping horses is the single most stressful thing you can do and with dogs I believe it is just as important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,462,648 times
17 years is very old for a dog. Your dog may not even be alive by the end of the year. With a dog that old, anything can happen.

The other thing is, you probably have to get updates on vaccinations. I would never vaccinate a dog that old against anything, because the vaccines alone could put it over the edge. And then you have a 30-day quarantine in Hawaii.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

76 posts, read 198,477 times
Hi Woof Woof Woof!
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes - 17 is pretty old and yes, anything can happen. BUT - he is very healthy and doing very well. He gets acupuncture for mild arthritis and is on no drugs. There is no reason to think that he won't be around when it is time to move. Let's think positive!

As far as vaccinations, I share your concern. Thankfully he is up to date with everything and they are good until July 2010. So we are good to go with that, assuming his rabies titer is high enough. Having rabies shots every 2-3 years for his whole life, he should have enough left in him to last years!

Oliver (doggie) got his micro chip today and is set to have the blood work for the titer done in two weeks. It takes about 3-4 weeks for that to be processed. If all is well with that, then the clock starts ticking - you must wait at least 120 days before you can enter Hawaii. You are also required to have the last 2 rabies certificates (original copies only). In addition, you need to have the vet apply the flea and tick stuff for at least 2 months in a row and this all has to be documented and federal expressed to Hawaii Department of Agriculture. There are a couple of other things that need to be done. BUT, if you follow the rules to the letter, Hawaii Department of Agriculture will send you a certificate that you show with your 10 day health certificate and you should be able to have direct release. No quarantine at all.

I understand that most people put their pets in cargo and all is fine. And that is great for them. However, it is absolutely not safe for certain breads (such as Pugs and other short nose dogs), it is also not very safe for elderly dogs. They tend to be wobbly on their feet and can't anchor themselves when they are being moved around. This can cause injuries. They also tend to be very sensitive to temperature changes. I'm just not willing to take the chance. So as far as I'm concerned, this is not a crazy idea at all.

Oliver is strong and healthy and happy. He has moved 12 times in his 17 years, so he is used to change. In an ideal world we would not have to leave the continental states until he was no longer with us. Unfortunately we have no choice, we have to move to Hawaii. Oliver is part of our family. Leaving him behind is not an option. If there is a dog that has a chance of living to be 19 or 20, he is it. So we will dot our i's and cross our t's, making sure that everything is set for direct release in Hawaii. And we will do our very best to find a group to share a charter with.

Hopefully Oliver will be having a luau for his 18th birthday! Positive thinking!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Aptor hours,

Thank you!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM

88 posts, read 257,964 times
we might be going to BI in mid Nov, not sure we can do Oct. But we also need a roundtrip, coming back early Dec. If that could somehow work, just let me know.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Hi Almost Hawaiian!

It is possible it could work. I personally have flexibility. The biggest thing for me is if I am flying from the east coast or if I have to drive to the west coast and fly from there. If I have to drive to the west coast then I will want to make this trip on my husbands schedule. I don't want to do all the driving cross country! Right now he is looking at a window of Oct 15 - Nov 15. That time frame may narrow.
So it really will boil down to how many other people are willing to share a charter and and when the most people are willing to travel.

For anyone who might be interested - PLEASE start the process of getting your pets ready to enter Hawaii NOW. I have been told that the biggest reason for charters to Hawaii being canceled is because people didn't follow the instructions properly or didn't start early enough. You have to be given a certificate from the Hawaiian Dept of Ag. prior to departing or the charter will not let you fly.

If anyone has any questions - please let me know or refer to: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyDogs View Post
Hi Nancyshannon

I am going to send you an email so we can talk about details!
How do I contact you?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Hi Nanacyshannon!

I sent you a private message - did you not get it? If you want, send me one. Just click on my name at the top of this - Jollydogs and then you will see a pull down menu, click on send direct message. Then you can send me a message and we will be able to talk. I will be a little delayed in getting back to you because I am on the road right now, only able to check email once per day. But I will bet back to you!
Also, when you sign in to this forum you will see a box in the upper right corner saying "welcome". Then you should see "direct messages" highlighted. Click on that and hopefully you will see my message to you in there. Let me know!
Talk with you soon!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,876 times
Can you also keep me updated with the number of people you get and the price? We are moving this summer, but we have a short-nosed dog. She can fly in the cargo, but not until about October because the temperature has to be less than 85 degrees outside. Also, I would prefer that she did not fly in the cargo area. If you get enough people, I could either fly back to fly with her on the plane, or my mom could possibly bring her over. Please keep me informed!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Will do gherkin314! Thanks!

Nanacyshannon - where you able to get my DM? Please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii