Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM

491 posts, read 1,262,657 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread is really entertaining reading. I have no thoughts of moving to or even visiting Hawaii (heck, I can't even afford to visit San Francisco 90 miles away), but this is one fascinating thread.

It could be printed up and sold to people thinking of moving there. At the very least, I now know things that I never knew existed or happened in Hawaii.

I will now watch Magnum PI reruns with a whole new viewpoint.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,313,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Maybe the locals treated the military like that because of the way the military treats them?
no idea, just what i always heard.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,697,401 times
I guess no one wants to answer what I have been asking.

When you say Local what is it that makes you know they are local?
Did you check the birth certificate?
Did you go to their home and meet their family?
Did they show you their family tree?
Did you check their history?

How do you know they are not from Fiji or Tahiti, or Guam, or Micronesia, or Samoa, or Japan? How do you know they were not 2nd generation Texan with Hawaii and Filipino grandparents who are on vacation? is it they don't speak like you speak in the same way? Is their passport hanging from the neck?

Is it their license plates that say Hawaii just like all rental cars have Hawaii license plates? Does that make all people driving cars with Hawaii license plates local or just those who act a certain way?

Or is it that they don't look like you and your neighbors in skin color like on the mainland? Maybe it’s the eyes or hair or teeth?

Speak up, there has to be something that makes a Guamanian a local Hawaiian in your eyes. There has to be something that make a visiting Samoan a local Hawaiian in your eyes. There has to make a Japanese tourist a local in your eyes. Can you really tell a teen from Palau from a teen from Papeete? Tell me how you know these people you talk about as local and Hawaiian is actually a local Hawaiian and not a foreigner to Hawaii.

You have to know something that I don't know because I still have a hard time knowing for sure if a person is another pacific islander or a Hawaiian. Don't be shy, tell us. What is the thing that made you label a person you may not know, never spoke to, have no idea about their history, and only saw for a short time, a local Hawaiian and not something else

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

119 posts, read 377,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Who would ever do that, seriously? You're not being realistic.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,802 times
Quote:

How do you know they are not from Fiji or Tahiti, or Guam, or Micronesia, or Samoa, or Japan? How do you know they were not 2nd generation Texan with Hawaii and Filipino grandparents who are on vacation? is it they don't speak like you speak in the same way? Is their passport hanging from the neck?

Is it their license plates that say Hawaii just like all rental cars have Hawaii license plates? Does that make all people driving cars with Hawaii license plates local or just those who act a certain way?

Or is it that they don't look like you and your neighbors in skin color like on the mainland? Maybe it’s the eyes or hair or teeth?

Speak up, there has to be something that makes a Guamanian a local Hawaiian in your eyes. There has to be something that make a visiting Samoan a local Hawaiian in your eyes. There has to make a Japanese tourist a local in your eyes. Can you really tell a teen from Palau from a teen from Papeete? Tell me how you know these people you talk about as local and Hawaiian is actually a local Hawaiian and not a foreigner to Hawaii.

You have to know something that I don't know because I still have a hard time knowing for sure if a person is another pacific islander or a Hawaiian. Don't be shy, tell us. What is the thing that made you label a person you may not know, never spoke to, have no idea about their history, and only saw for a short time, a local Hawaiian and not something else
Let it go...

Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,697,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
Who would ever do that, seriously? You're not being realistic.
and you are not answering my question.

How do all these people who bad mouth local Hawaiians know that the person is a Local and is a Hawaiian? There has to be something that made them know for fact that the person is not a visitor but local, and is not from Guam, Fiji, Tahiti, Samoa, Palau, Micronesia, Phillipines, Japan, Okinawa, Korea, or from Nevada. They must have some inside info about a person who they never met, never talked to, and only had a passing contact that makes them so sure to call them a Local and a Hawaiian.

That is what I want them to tell me. what is that secret knowledge they have that makes them know who is who. That is all I am asking.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM

119 posts, read 377,117 times
I didn't answer you because I don't know, I don't live in Hawaii but I'm going to. I was just reading all the useful information to prepare myself but I did think your questions about birth certificate et cetera is ridiculous that's why I had to comment.

The posters who have lived in Hawaii had bad experience of not being accepted by locals, and you're asking if they come to their homes meet the family see the family tree?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,302,142 times
Quote:

If you want a specific thread regarding "What makes a local" please start one.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,564 times
Quote:
How do all these people who bad mouth local Hawaiians know that the person is a Local and is a Hawaiian? There has to be something that made them know for fact that the person is not a visitor but local, and is not from Guam, Fiji, Tahiti, Samoa, Palau, Micronesia, Philippines, Japan, Okinawa, Korea, or from Nevada. They must have some inside info about a person who they never met, never talked to, and only had a passing contact that makes them so sure to call them a Local and a Hawaiian.
I am not going to "bad mouth" Hawaiians. I made some very close Hawaiian friends. I dated several. Most of the "locals" aren't even Hawaiian. There are very few true native Hawaiians on the island. Most of the people considered locals have mixed ancestory.

And I'll disagree. I don't think "locals" consider anyone with white skin a local no matter how long they live in Hawaii. I had a close friend (white with blond hair) who was born on Maui, whose parents were born on the Big Island, and whose grandparents were born somewhere in Hawaii. She would be the first to tell you that folks with darker skin don't consider her "local". How much more local could she be? When I knew her we were 22 years old. She had never left the islands even for a vacation.

Reality...if you have dark skin and speak with a pigeon accent, you are "local" enough to be accepted.

What makes a "local" in the eyes of locals (especially teens and young adults)? It's difficult to put into words. But trust me, if you spend any time in Hawaii...especially as a kids...you know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii