Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,156,968 times

Advertisements

I really don't blame them for not writing you a three months supply on a new drug you may not be permanently on.Sounds like its your insurance that is make you and doctor jump thru hoops;not the doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,450,270 times
This is an interesting issue which I filed a formal complaint to Medicare to their Washington Office.

My mother was in a nursing home and she was on Long Term Care which we pay all prescription drugs. She was on many maintenance drugs which she should receive a two month supply for 1 co-pay. I noticed the bills showed orders for 1 week for one drug, 2 weeks for another, 4 days for another--all for 1 co-pay. I complained and I was told that was how the order was given by the nursing home.

In discussing this issue with other families, the same problems occurred. It was a problem with maintenance drugs, not new meds or meds for a short period.The pharmacy that was filling these prescription was a large national pharmacy that was cited in the past for other issues, as I noticed when I did my research. Some of the prescription was filled by Kaiser directly. Kaiser has a contract with the national pharmacy to fill prescriptions if Kaiser could not fill them in a reasonable time. However, most were done through this national pharmacy.

I decided to file a formal complaint. It took 18 months before Medicare got back to me and they responded and said they could not find a criminal intent or activity. I did notice that Kaiser made some subtle changes to their patient's contracts that would protect themselves if these situations occurred and did away with some long term fills of maintenance drugs in Nursing Homes. My feelings was that the government was incapable and refuse or wanted not to see that this is national issue of overcharging of prescriptions where millions are involved. There are powerful influences and lobbyist in DC and I just did not have energy to fully bring the issue forward and it would take years.

I would advise readers to look very closely at prescriptions bills you receive when you have a family member in a care facility. Make very sure to let the nurse supervisor know what you expect and that prescriptions should not be ordered by any nurse on the shift, anyway she pleases. Hold the care facility to account and be forceful. I refuse to pay and the orders were adjusted and many cancelled; I saved hundreds of dollars. I believe they cancelled much of it because they felt I had the capacity to complain and they wanted to keep it quiet--I complained anyways but it did no good.

In case of the OP's problems. It should matter not how many prescriptions are written on one form. The prescriptions are individual filled and numbered. Also, a physician has every right and I believe should limit a new medication with a smaller amount to see the efficacy, regardless if you think the dosage will be adjusted. I have the same issues all the time and I just accept that as a way to help reduce overall costs. Sure, at times you will be paying more because the doctor will then say it works and then you have to pay another co-pay.

I have not had a doctor write a hand written prescription in many years as all is done electronically by Kaiser. I do have to constantly review and demand that the meds are filled for the proper amount for a co-pay for maintenance drugs--my obsession at constantly checking has save hundreds over the years. The big problem everyone has different plans for coverage and treating physicians has no time to check and now all those plans.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance