Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,720 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone out there has moved between states after age 65 and had an Advantage plan or supplemental plan. What happened when you moved to a new state? Did you have to reapply for the advantage plan in the new state and were you subject to "underwriting" (had to provide a medical history and could be denied coverage).

If you apply at age 65, you can get guarantee issued supplemental or advantage plans without any health history required and everyone is accepted. If you wait until another time to apply, you have to submit a health history and can be denied coverage for a Medicare advantage or Medicare supplemental plan. Assuming you buy one at the right time (turning 65) and get into one without any hassles, and then a couple years later decide to move to another state, I wonder if there are problems getting a new Advantage or supplemental plan.

Has anyone gone through this? I would hate to have to make a decision about where to retire at age 65 and feel trapped because I would not be able to get a new Medicare Advantage plan in another state if I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM

33 posts, read 77,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm wondering if anyone out there has moved between states after age 65 and had an Advantage plan or supplemental plan. What happened when you moved to a new state? Did you have to reapply for the advantage plan in the new state and were you subject to "underwriting" (had to provide a medical history and could be denied coverage).

If you apply at age 65, you can get guarantee issued supplemental or advantage plans without any health history required and everyone is accepted. If you wait until another time to apply, you have to submit a health history and can be denied coverage for a Medicare advantage or Medicare supplemental plan. Assuming you buy one at the right time (turning 65) and get into one without any hassles, and then a couple years later decide to move to another state, I wonder if there are problems getting a new Advantage or supplemental plan.

Has anyone gone through this? I would hate to have to make a decision about where to retire at age 65 and feel trapped because I would not be able to get a new Medicare Advantage plan in another state if I moved.
When you turn 65 you have guarantee issue of buying a medicare supplement (same as Medigap) plan up to the first 6 months. After you get a Medigap plan, then you may try medicare advantage and if you decide to go back to a Medigap within the first year, you will have a guarantee issue for the same Company and the same plan if they still carry it. If your former Medigap policy isn’t available, you can buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.
You’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan, and your plan is leaving Medicare or stops giving care in your area, or you move out of the plan area. You have the right to buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or
L that is sold in your state by any insurance company.
You only have this right if you switch to Original Medicare rather than join another Medicare Advantage Plan.
Your State that you live in may have some different enhancements on Guarentee Issue rights, so check that.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

7,521 posts, read 13,639,903 times
Default Moved out of state with Advantage Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

Last July I moved from CO to CT at age 66. Switching from a CO Part C plan to a CT Part C plan was no trouble at all. (no experience with Medigap). The only real issue is finding a new PCP in the new area that is accepting new patients under the new plan that you would like to switch to. Remember that even with the same Plan C provider company, their plans vary from one area to another. Also be aware that in some areas, mostly rural or small town, NO Part C plans are available at all !!

When applying for the new plan, I would suggest doing it on-line or by mail. I made the mistake of calling 800#. The call took 2 hours with all the "legalese fine print" they have to read to you. BTW, no medical history questions were asked.

Good luck, and remember, Medicare is in no way a "one size fits all" system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance