Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

I don't think there are magic words. Except perhaps in the insurance policy. For example - some policies will cover you if you're a dentist - and can't practice dentistry anymore (our dentist lost sight in one eye - and his sense of depth perception - and therefore couldn't work as a dentist). OTOH - some policies won't provide coverage if you're a dentist - but - due to a disability - you can still do something (like work as a bagger at the grocery store). So what does the policy you're dealing with say? That's the first question you have to answer. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
I am going thru this now with my son (23) he has been denied twice since last October, and I just hired an attorney. When I was going thru this more than 10 years ago, I had an attorney, and it still took me 2 YEARS to get approved.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM

What is the nature of your son's disability? Robyn

Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM

We found out he is bipolar after a pyschotic breakdown.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Why should someone go on permanent disability when he/she has a psychological condition that can be managed with drugs? Robyn

Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why should someone go on permanent disability when he/she has a psychological condition that can be managed with drugs? Robyn
Do you know anything about bipolars? I worked as a pysch nurse for 4 years, aside from having 4 close relatives with this. Not ALL BIPOLARS are the same. There are different types. I have seen so much I could write a book. My son cannot concentrate on anything. His thought processes are not stable, HE GETS AGITATED VERY EASILY. He cannot manage a trip to the grocery store without it being a big deal. Aside from the fact that he sleeps ALOT because the meds keep him drugged. He has been thru alot as well as the emotional toll, his whole life has been turned upside down. Look up what constitutes disability....there is more than one mental illness on there that qualifies.

Last edited by Jrsygrl51; 08-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
You are all asking questions about disability determinations that is readily available to the public. It is called
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security commonly called the Blue Book. It has separate sections for adult and childhood impairments. This is the official guide that the government uses for listed impairments.
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security

Keep in mind because your problems or impairments are listed does not mean you are disabled. There are also other impairments that are not readily listed but fall under problems that are effective by the impairments. Interestingly, enough years ago the government rated obesity as a listed impairment with distinct measures for the disability rating but that was removed as such because it is now rated on how the impairement effects other body functions. There are also some disabilities because of the severity of the condition that are presumptive as to life long disability such as Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehring's Disease.

Livecontent

Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are all asking questions about disability determinations that is readily available to the public. It is called
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security commonly called the Blue Book. It has separate sections for adult and childhood impairments. This is the official guide that the government uses for listed impairments.
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security

Keep in mind because your problems or impairments are listed does not mean you are disabled. There are also other impairments that are not readily listed but fall under problems that are effective by the impairments. Interestingly, enough years ago the government rated obesity as a listed impairment with distinct measures for the disability rating but that was removed as such because it is now rated on how the impairement effects other body functions. There are also some disabilities because of the severity of the condition that are presumptive as to life long disability such as Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehring's Disease.

Livecontent
Thank you. I have found A LOT of great information online and I highly recommend that people check out this website first.
I posted here hoping to find some "un-written rules" or tips that may help me.

I did learn something very valuable that I didn't know. It was that there are different types of disability policies. I believe that this policy was puchased around 1980 or 1981. I think that the original policy could be found. and I'm going to check that out.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
I would have him start taking Prevagen, DHA and Coconut oil to see if he can't reverse whatever is going on in his brain. Those three things have been proven to be able to cross the blood brain barrier. He'd also need to clean up his diet. NO CHEMICALS ie NO DIET SODAS or sugar replacements unless it is Stevia. Start having him juice with fresh organic veggies -- mostly greens. I'd also go see a proven Naturopath if I were him who is experienced reversing and improving conditions like this.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thank you. I have found A LOT of great information online and I highly recommend that people check out this website first.
I posted here hoping to find some "un-written rules" or tips that may help me.

I did learn something very valuable that I didn't know. It was that there are different types of disability policies. I believe that this policy was puchased around 1980 or 1981. I think that the original policy could be found. and I'm going to check that out.
Single premium disability policies are kind of rare - and are usually "credit disability" policies. In most cases - the insured would be paying premiums while the policy is in effect. So - if you can't find the policy - but can find a payment - you can probably get a specimen of the policy from the insurance company. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance