Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times

Advertisements

Apparently, the state changed the deal with UHC - after it won its bid in 2010. Essentially, it sounds as though, for now, WI is cutting out the middleman (UHC). Bet they'll be dropping families from the program very soon.

UnitedHealthcare ends BadgerCare Plus contract with state - JSOnline

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-20-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Apparently, the state changed the deal with UHC - after it won its bid in 2010. Essentially, it sounds as though, for now, WI is cutting out the middleman (UHC). Bet they'll be dropping families from the program very soon.

More of this could be expected by 2013 if the Ryan plan goes forward. Unlike the Medicare portion which is delayed 10 years, the Medicaid block grants would start immediately and save the slash the fed budget by $800B over 10 years. The states would no could reduce the benefits and tighten the requirements to qualify. Ariadne, I listened to the entire Cspan link that you sent. I was amazed at the poverty stricken guy from new york that was complaining about the copays that the evil dems make him pay, but insisted he would support ryan because the ryan plan would benefit him!
I'm afraid that some of these poor people are too stupid to vote their interests.
Primer: How Paul Ryan's Plan Would Change Medicaid | PBS NewsHour

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Ariadne, I listened to the entire Cspan link that you sent. I was amazed at the poverty stricken guy from new york that was complaining about the copays that the evil dems make him pay, but insisted he would support ryan because the ryan plan would benefit him!
I'm afraid that some of these poor people are too stupid to vote their interests.
Primer: How Paul Ryan's Plan Would Change Medicaid | PBS NewsHour
Yes. He was assuming there would be no copays in the Ryan plan. Hahahahaha. I'm sure he never gave it another thought, even when the guest asked him why he believed that. C-Span doesn't usually allow rebuttal from the callers, but in that, and many other cases, I wonder what his answer would have been to her Q - or if he even really understood her point.

The ignorance and stupidity of the voting public is alarming. I've cut back a bit on the C-Span watching the past few days because of this - quite depressing how stupid, ignorant, bigoted, misinformed, uninformed, unintelligent, undiscerning far too many of the voting public are. You can hear the most outlandish comments daily on C-Span. This is why the politicians can lie, and lie, and lie, and lie - and are believed.

They have NO RESPECT for the voting public, consider most of us a bunch of gullible fools - or "rubes" as I heard the other night (again on C-Span. a seminar video) from someone who had been a House staffer for decades.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-20-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Deosn't sound like nay of this has to do with Ryan plan one way or the other.I think n matter hwat we can lok for reductions coming i states and federal plans including lower medicare payments. So far the only cuts I see is the reducede payments to providers in meedicare and cut to medicare of 500 bilio i te eyars to pay fopr new healthcare bill.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 AM

A comment from what is apparently an "insider" - with a political POV, of course - stating the previous administration signed a contract it had no intention of honoring.

Quote:
The big cut came under Gov. Doyle when his crew that ran the program screwed providers and insurers by promising changes that didn't occur and made deeper cuts to funding of the managed care program than they said they were making. They literally lied to the health plans, then found back-door ways to not make payments to them.

Gov. Walker's team has been making positive changes to try and stabilize a program that was left in complete shambles by Gov. Doyle's team. Gov. Doyle's crew drove out many long-time and very knowledgable state employees who tried to slow the changes that didn't make sense. The Doyle Amdinistration's response was to reassign out of the program anyone who didn't go along with their crazy plans. We lost a lot of good people in the process and were left with a group that barely knew what they doing.

Gov. Walker's team has been working to put things back together and maintain a program that was left grossly underfunded.

The truth may lie somewhere in between Doyle malfeasance and Walker budget priorities.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-22-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Deosn't sound like nay of this has to do with Ryan plan one way or the other.I think n matter hwat we can lok for reductions coming i states and federal plans including lower medicare payments. So far the only cuts I see is the reducede payments to providers in meedicare and cut to medicare of 500 bilio i te eyars to pay fopr new healthcare bill.
No one is talking about the Ryan plan. This thread is about United Healthcare withdrawing from Medicaid in WI, which has nothing to do with Ryan - unless you're making the leap, since he's from WI, the inference is he is at fault? Nowhere was this said or implied.

On the Medicare "cuts," since you bring it up, it all depends on where you get your information and how you interpret what you learn/read/hear.

The "other side" says the $716b is a savings (slowing the growth) incurred by correction of overpayments (too-high reimbursements, coupled with lowering waste, fraud and abuse through improved technology) which will go to preventive benefits and closing of the drug doughnut hole.

I've heard, numerous times, from various health care "experts" on C-Span - whether it be Kaiser or an Association representing the health care industry - there are NO cuts. The so-called "robbing" of Medicare is essentially an agreement by the hospitals not to raise rates, in return for greater reimbursements of those hospitals' Medicaid and charity care costs.

It can be argued those savings should be put back in Medicare and not go to pay Medicaid/charity care.

However, again, the "other side" says the savings is going back to Medicare in the form of support for preventive services and closing of the drug doughnut hole.

Who do you believe? Probably, again, the answer is somewhere between the two POV's. Each side is haranguing on one side of the issue without, conveniently, factoring in the whole picture, in order to promote their more narrow particular political agenda.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-22-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance