Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 AM

70 posts, read 238,177 times

Advertisements

I am a widow drawing my deceased husband's SS. I have never been sick but do have allergies year round. By the time I married my husband at age 18 I had already had 4 back surgeries, had the first one when I was 7 years old and have had several surgeries since. First, I was born with only half my vertabrae, no ribs on my left side, no discs and one leg 3 inches longer than the other leg. Around puberty I was diagnosed with a rare form of scoliosis, rare because my spine curves in the shape of the letter C rather than the S shape that others have. So, I was disabled long before I got married. I I fall it will be a disaster because I have no discs. Ask me how I know.

My husband passed away almost 2 years ago. I applied for SSI but was told by the lady at the SS office that I qualified to draw his SS which was more than SSI would be. I do not have any medical insurance and haven't had it since his death.

I got a letter from SS last week telling me that I can now get Medicare. Not sure why I couldn't get it till now. Should I go for Medicare? What part of Medicare should I get? I ask because I know there is part A, B, C, and D but not sure what each part does.

I have not had any of my medicine since my husband's death. My allergies are in overdrive because of not having the medicine. The over the counter allergy meds do not touch my allergies. I also have loss of feeling in my legs, feet and hands which if I had my wonder pill (Lyrica) once a day I would have feeling. It has something to do with a pinched nerve in my back that sends too many impulses to my brain and from my brain to my hands, feet and legs, which overloads my nervous system. The Lyrica slows down those impulses so everything feels normal. Anyway I have been out of the Lyrica almost 2 years now. I touched the hot iron with the back of my hand last week, got a nasty burn but didn't feel it due to the loss of feeling in my hands, perhaps it's a blessing that I didn't feel it. The burn doesn't look good and I'm sure it will leave a scar. I only mentioned the burn to give you an idea about how much I am able to feel things without the Lyrica.

When you respond, please keep in my mind to not get too technical where I don't understand what you are saying. I only made it through the 6th grade because that is when the scoliosis hit and I went into the hospital for surgery, I was 17 when I got to come home from the hospital, which is why that is as far as I got in School. While I am not stupid by any stretch of the word, if it is too technical I won't grasp it. I will be 55 next month.

I would appreciate any input on Medicare!

Jeanette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,468,778 times
How fast do you want to end up completely broke if you say fall down and need surgery on a broken leg? Get Medicare.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,817,574 times
Medicare Parts A and B cover hospital and physician.

Medicare part D is your drug plan.

There is also Med Advantage, many are $0 a month premium as long as you have parts A and B. Many include a drug plan with them so you don't have to purchase it separately.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM

7,539 posts, read 13,724,418 times
Because the choices you need make depend on your personal circumstances, and location(zip code), you need local help. This is available thru a free, government service (in all states) called SHIP. To locate the phone # for the SHIP service in your state, look here

Find a SHIP

You could also start getting familiar with Medicare in general by reading the info here

Information for People Like Me - I'm new to Medicare, Medicare.gov - the Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare

Good Luck, and be careful of your Open Enrollment dates (3 months before and after your Eligibility date)

Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM

14,534 posts, read 20,804,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isew4kidz View Post
I will be 55 next month.
I would appreciate any input on Medicare!
Did the paperwork you received tell you what the premium would be for part B?
If not, call SS and ask.
Also ask about the penalties for not signing up, when you are eligible.
A couple years ago I was told there is a 10% penalty for each year you are eligible and you do not accept it.
Ex: If you can get it now for $100 a month, and you do not sign on this year, then next year it would be $110.00. That can add up if you wait year after year. I'd call and ask about these penalties.

A lady I know, has had a mess with her medications. Between the doctor, the pharmacy, and SS there is a disagreement on whether her test strips belong on part C or part D.
Part C pays for them and D does not, or vice versa. I think she got it straightened out with multiple visits to the pharmacy and phone calls and delays of up to 2 weeks or longer.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM

This morning I read the letter and the booklet SS sent me, turns out I have been automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B. It becomes effective January 1st and the premium is for part B. I guess the premium will be deducted from my SS check. From what I understand, if I want prescription drug coverage I need to get something called Medicare Advantage and only have 60 days I think to get it or be charged a penalty for waiting to get it. I really need the prescription drug plan, so I need to figure out how to get Medicare Advantage. When I burned my hand, I did not feel it and would not have known I got burned if my friend had not noticed it, if I had been taking the Lyrica I would've felt the burn. Why would I need to feel it you may wonder, because I don't heal very well and it could've got infected really bad without me knowing it.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
You definitely need Medicare.

You might start here:

Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare

Plug in your zipcode, answer a few Qs, site should tell you who is selling Advantage in your area.

FYI:
Plan A - Hospital - no charge
Plan B - Dr., lab - $100/mo deducted from your SS benefit
Plan C - Advantage, can cover drugs, you must be enrolled in Plan B to enroll in Advantage
Plan D - Drug plan - usually (not always) included in Advantage

Or, contact your state insurance commissioner for info on who is selling Advantage in your state. Or, contact an insurance agent.

In some states, there is no additional premium for an Advantage plan. Advantage plans are run by health insurance companies like UnitedHealthcare, Humana, etc., and generally require you use their doctors. For the most part, not always, they are HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations)

What state are you in?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-17-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 AM

I am in Texas and thank you for the info. According to the letter I got my Medicare coverage becomes effective January 1st

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,048,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isew4kidz View Post
I am in Texas and thank you for the info. According to the letter I got my Medicare coverage becomes effective January 1st
Which part of Texas are you in?>

Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 AM

I am in Cleveland between Houston and Lufkin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance