Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 31,952 times

Advertisements

Just moved here and needed a family doctor in Cary. However most doctors considers the older generation with medicare insurance, BTW I also have a secondary insurance, worthless. I called the MacGregor Family Physicians and Cary Healthcare Associates and neither would accept me as a new patient because of me having medicare. Makes me wonder what is going to happen to them when they become old need a new doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 25,004,042 times
Some physicians do limit the number of patients they accept who are covered by certain government insurance programs. It limits their financial exposure to that one insurance program - which in many instances does not pay them at the same rate as private plans may do.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,605,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Some physicians do limit the number of patients they accept who are covered by certain government insurance programs. It limits their financial exposure to that one insurance program - which in many instances does not pay them at the same rate as private plans may do.
Exactly. Just wait until we all have gov't healthcare.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM

19,470 posts, read 28,040,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Ding ding ding!!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,021,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ding ding ding!!!!!

Sccaarrryyyyy

Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,547,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'm appalled at the level of coverage at which most employers consider "health insurance".

Let's be honest, if you're making $1200-$1500/month after taxes, spending $400/month on "health insurance" just isn't in the cards.

We all kinda already have government insurance, in that if you don't have coverage, you can walk into any hospital and they have to treat you.

You and I with good health insurance plans pay for it, as do our employers.

Why not charge everyone something instead? It will mean lower premiums for everyone hopefully.

To keep this on track for this area, the Raleigh area must have some of the lowest doctor : patient ratios in the US. I can call my doctor the day of and often times get an appointment for THAT DAY. In VA, it was about a 3-4 day wait and you were lucky to even get that. They also restricted you from only talking to the doctor about 3 items per visit. Personally, I really like the healthcare in this area. Lots of choices and no wait times.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 3,602,999 times
Pay them in cash if you wanna go there so bad?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 AM

51,725 posts, read 26,022,108 times
We had a ton of trouble getting in with a doctor when we moved to town. As soon as they heard what our insurance coverage was, we were told they would "get back to us." Finally, ended up at UNC Family Practice. Great care and easy to make appts. even for dermatology.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,557,718 times
NOT A NEW PROBLEM. Sorry about the caps, but this frustrated me over 10 years ago as well in this area!!

I second the UNC Family Practice and UNC practices in general (Mom ended up seeing rheum and pulmonary as well). I had incredible difficulty finding healthcare for my Mom that accepted medicare -- my own physician at the time wouldn't accept it. Now he accepts it but i think only if you were an existing patient that has aged.

In any event, when I did find places locally (Raleigh) that would take medicare, the turnover in the practice was high and she was seeing a different person each time she went (each year that is since she was 'well' and didn't need to be seen between). This frustrated her. And this was not recent -- this would have been 1998-2003 with MDs that wouldn't take medicare so this is not a new problem.

Finally, when she needed to be seen every 3-6 mos, we went to over UNC -- and saw the SAME PERSON each time (yay!) and was able to build a relationship and get everything taken care of -- usually in the same building. And received excellent care -- Mom was a nurse so wouldn't tolerate second rate medical care, or what she perceived of 2nd rate.

best of luck. I'd suggest a really big practice or one attached to a health system where they are more likely to be able to manage with less reimbursement...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,221,998 times
There is an issue with Medicare that limits doctor charges to the Medicare limiting amount even if the patient rejects Medicare and has other insurance.

Little known but might be why some practices will not accept you if you are eligible for Medicare even if you refuse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance