Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,714,025 times

Advertisements

In 2012, I had a high deductible plan. I opened an HSA to assist with paying the deductibles and whatnot. I was told by my HR department (this is where I'm at fault for not researching it) that if I switched from the high deductible plan to a more traditional health insurance plan, that the money comes with me and is usable.

Two months ago, I lost my job but got another one with no break in benefits. However, this new company doesn't offer a high-deductible plan. So, I have the "traditional plan."

After incurring about a 30k hospital bill, I expected to use the 5k in my HSA to pay for part of it. Alas, all the providers are declining the card. I can't get an answer from the HSA manager yet since they apparently close for the day at 3pm (what kind of business does that?)

Anyone know anything about a situation like this? Is my HSA money "locked up" now for the foreseeable future and not usable since I'm on a traditional plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM

25,585 posts, read 56,593,201 times
I was able to write checks on my HSA. Don't you have that capacity?

Your problem may be with attempting to use a "card" instead of just writing a check. Were you able to use this card previously, or is this your first attempt?

If I had a card, I don't remember it. Think it was offered and I didn't bother to get one.

I would put medical bills a credit card, and then write checks to myself from the HSA to cover it. That's permissible. Just keep the medical bills, charge statements, and your HSA checks/statements with your tax records. All of this was done after I lost my job - I never had a problem accessing my HSA via check.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,714,025 times
That's an idea. I'll contact the bank that manages it and see if I can get checks for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,429,497 times
Your funds should be available to you with no issues at all. You always have access to those funds. Since you moved to a traditional plan, you can't ADD to that account. It's possible, since it is a debit card, that the bill is for more than what you have in the account and that is why it is being declined. Do you have online access to that account to check the funds?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,034,743 times
I knew several whop retired early and used it to pay their healthcare insurance before getting on medicare and still use what is left to pay their supplement now.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
HSA debit cards are often restricted to known exclusive approved healthcare vendors since all transactions must be IRS approved transactions. If the transaction was cosmetic surgery that is not approved by the IRS and could be why the card was declined. It's also possible, though unlikely, that your provider doesn't have the proper merchant ID coded as an exclusive healthcare provider.

The checkbook should work fine as will a reimbursement request but you should first understand why the the debit card declined. There is a better than average chance the transaction isn't valid as the debit cards are usually 'smart' debit cards. Who administers your HSA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance