Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM

17,632 posts, read 13,420,761 times

Advertisements

I have an advantage that I most likely retire until June or July when I turn 70

MrsM and I have time to look around while I still have coverage from my company. For 7o year olds we take an average amount of meds. My Crestor and our Fluticisone and montelukast as well as her eye drops and rosacia creams are the most expensive meds that we take. I believe the discounted pharmacy prices are enough to throw us into the gap in 2016

We live in Ohio and will travel extensively.

If I had to pick plans now it would be either Humana or UHC (non HMO) through AARP. But, we are just starting to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I have an advantage that I most likely retire until June or July when I turn 70

MrsM and I have time to look around while I still have coverage from my company. For 7o year olds we take an average amount of meds. My Crestor and our Fluticisone and montelukast as well as her eye drops and rosacia creams are the most expensive meds that we take. I believe the discounted pharmacy prices are enough to throw us into the gap in 2016

We live in Ohio and will travel extensively.

If I had to pick plans now it would be either Humana or UHC (non HMO) through AARP. But, we are just starting to look.
Got your DM. Answering you here.

Can't help you w/Part D b/c your drugs determine your plan. All depends on YOUR circumstances/location, etc. There is no generic drug plan universally good for everyone. Lot of people find discount drug websites, Walgreen's and Costco prices are cheaper than going through a Part D insurer. Just depends.

Also, fwiw, I take NO meds and never will if I can help it, so don't have Part D - but do have creditable drug coverage through a WI SrCare program for $30/yr. If I ever need Part D I don't pay a late-enrollment penalty.

On Medigaps - UHC and Humana MUST behave. It is only their Advantage plans that are can be problematic. People here on UHC Medigaps have no complaints.

General rule of thumb - buy a community-rated Medigap, if possible. Rating/pricing explained, here:

http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/...-policies.aspx

UHC uses community-rated pricing in Cleveland, Ohio. Medicare.gov will give you the rating/pricing info. for your area. Your premiums will be slightly higher in the beginning but will always stay affordable even into your 80's.

Humana uses attained-age pricing per Medicare.gov - so it is possible premiums will become unaffordable over time. Further, if your health changes, you may not be able to leave Humana very easily as you will be subject to medical underwriting outside your Initial Open Enrollment period when you are first eligible for Medicare.

Pretty simple for you, really. If you're traveling, you want a Medigap. If you don't doctor a lot, a high-deductible Medigap F provides all the flexibility and cost protections at about 50-60% lower premium. Very cost-effective over time if you expect minimal medical expenses. hd-F's discussed, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...dicare-hi.html

Otherwise, a regular Medigap G/F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance