Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2024, 07:42 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times

Advertisements

Hi

For reasons that I won't get into right now, I do not have health coverage. I am self-employed, so there is no coverage through an employer.

I am looking for a Focused plan/Catastrophic plan, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

First, I know this will not be ACA-compliant, and second, this is not for illness. It's to protect me in the event of a bad accident, or something happening that will wind me up with a huge hospital bill.

The place I know to look are health-share ministries; these are perfect for what I need. Low-cost, reasonable ded., and will cover me in the event of a catastrophe. Problem is, they won't accept me, b/c I am Jewish.

I do not belong to a union/local, so there is nothing in that space for me. Does anyone have an idea of where else I can look?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 08:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
In order to get catastrophic coverage, you have to be under 30 years old, OR qualify for a hardship exemption (such as being homeless).

Also, catastrophic coverage has high deductibles and high maximum out of pocket expenses AFTER your deductible is met - around $9,000 per year for out of pocket max, and often $8-10,000 deductible. So you'd be looking at up to $19,000 hospital bill, and that's WITH a catastrophic insurance plan, and doesn't include the cost of premiums or prescriptions.

Cheaper in most cases to just deal with the ACA and get a compliant plan.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:39 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I am looking for a Focused plan/Catastrophic plan, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion.
Just to clarify, since you mentioned "not ACA compliant" I take it you're talking about those health insurance plans hawked as "Short-term", "Temporary", "Bridge insurance", etc.

Those plans come with so many exclusions, exceptions and gotchas that you need to spend time reading every line of the policy. Often you'll find they pay very little in the end and they may exclude so many pieces of care; kind of a Swiss cheese approach.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just to clarify, since you mentioned "not ACA compliant" I take it you're talking about those health insurance plans hawked as "Short-term", "Temporary", "Bridge insurance", etc.

No - not those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
In order to get catastrophic coverage, you have to be under 30 years old, OR qualify for a hardship exemption (such as being homeless).

Not what I am seeing. May I ask where you are seeing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Cheaper in most cases to just deal with the ACA and get a compliant plan.
An ACA compliant plan for me is about $12k per year, with a 5 or 6k ded. Not at all worth it.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
You need to give us some link or idea of what plan you're talking about.

If not ACA compliant, they are either:
Non-compliant short term, bridge, temporary, indemnity or similar limited health plans,
OR,
They are under the healthcare ministry exception.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:59 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Hi

For reasons that I won't get into right now, I do not have health coverage. I am self-employed, so there is no coverage through an employer.

First, I know this will not be ACA-compliant, and second, this is not for illness. It's to protect me in the event of a bad accident, or something happening that will wind me up with a huge hospital bill.

The place I know to look are health-share ministries; these are perfect for what I need. Low-cost, reasonable ded., and will cover me in the event of a catastrophe. Problem is, they won't accept me, b/c I am Jewish.

I do not belong to a union/local, so there is nothing in that space for me. Does anyone have an idea of where else I can look?

Thanks in advance.

Shalom.

Have you looked at UNITED REFUAH?

https://www.unitedrefuahhs.org/

Old 04-06-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Shalom.

Have you looked at UNITED REFUAH?

https://www.unitedrefuahhs.org/
Thank you. But that's more than I am currently paying.

Old 04-06-2024, 01:36 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Thank you. But that's more than I am currently paying.
- but, you don't have coverage and you said you were looking for a health share ministry but you were Jewish:
Quote:

$199 a month, quoted on the Refuah site, is very reasonable for health insurance these days and right in line with other health share ministries which you said were perfect for what you need. What's the problem with Refuah?? Low rate, very reasonable cost share and max out-of-pockets, designed for Jewish people.

Health-share plans can be good options to the ACA. Several here have had good success with them.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
- but, you don't have coverage and you said you were looking for a health share ministry but you were Jewish:
$199 a month, quoted on the Refuah site, is very reasonable for health insurance these days and right in line with other health share ministries which you said were perfect for what you need. What's the problem with Refuah?? Low rate, very reasonable cost share and max out-of-pockets, designed for Jewish people.

Health-share plans can be good options to the ACA. Several here have had good success with them.
Sorry - mistyped. More than I am looking to pay, is what I meant. That's what happens when you are typing and simultaneously having a convo with your 7-yr old nephew.

That might be considered reasonable, but at well over $50,000 over the next 20 years (rates will increase) that's not what I am looking for. I appreciate the time, tho.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:53 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Sorry - mistyped. More than I am looking to pay, is what I meant. That's what happens when you are typing and simultaneously having a convo with your 7-yr old nephew.

That might be considered reasonable, but at well over $50,000 over the next 20 years (rates will increase) that's not what I am looking for. I appreciate the time, tho.

A single health problem or a minor accident could easily result in medical expenses in excess of $50,000.

It is highly likely that you will incur some medical expenses in the next twenty years.

If you are comfortable self-insuring these expenses, well . . .

L'chaim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance