Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,572,904 times

Advertisements

As one who generally detests taking any kind of medication, I recently lost the cholesterol fight and started taking meds for it. Just one year ago I was seemingly able to bring the numbers down at will, but they wouldn't stay down. After making a sincere effort this time the numbers just didn't budge much.
Is there anyone who has been able to control their cholesterol after starting meds and eventually go off of the pills or am I doomed to taking them the rest of my life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 AM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Not all cholesterol comes from the diet, and some of us manufacture more of it than others.

If you are near your ideal weight, exercise regularly, and eat a low fat diet, you are probably stuck with the pills. Do you have a family history of vascular disease? Such a history suggests higher risk.

Don't stop the meds without consulting your doctor first.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm not intended on stopping my meds but wondering if there is anyone who is/was able to work their way off the meds. In other words the meds brought the condition under control and with the aid of diet & exercise the dosage was decreased and was finally no longer needed.
I'm adopted so you know just as much about my family history as I do.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
I've talked to people who used Red Yeast pills instead of cholesterol drugs and they said it worked. I just started so I don't know yet. Diet and exercise did absolutely NOTHING for me and the statin drugs made me ache all over. I'm not sure what red yeast brands are the best but tests with one (unnamed brand) did show positive results.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've talked to people who used Red Yeast pills instead of cholesterol drugs and they said it worked. I just started so I don't know yet. Diet and exercise did absolutely NOTHING for me and the statin drugs made me ache all over. I'm not sure what red yeast brands are the best but tests with one (unnamed brand) did show positive results.
Keep me posted on the yeast pils.
Haven't had any side affects yet <fingerscrossed>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness