Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I mentioned in another thread -- about overcompenating on the other leg -- that I broke my left fibula last month.

Is there any way to know that the bone is healing? It was a hairline fracture, a clean break, and I'm wearing a brace. I'm totally overcompensating and putting all my weight on my RIGHT (unbroken) leg when walking, and that's not a good thing -- it hurts like anything!

How can I tell if my left fibula is healing and can take some weight? Or is there even a way to tell before I go for x-rays again on 2/24?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 68,502 times
I broke my fibula Jan 2nd. Was put in a hard cast on Jan 5th. Kept that for 2 weeks, then asked for an air cast boot (couldn't stand the hard cast; made me nervous not being able to see my foot). After 4 weeks, I got x-rays again and the doctor said that there was bone forming between the broken ends of the bone. I couldn't tell by looking at the x-ray, but he said when he zoomed in on the computer, he could see it. I took his word for it. There really is no way to tell and I don't think you should walk on it before the doctor tells you to. You might cause more damage that way and prolong the healing time. I'm getting x-rays on the 28th, and am hoping to be done with the boot. Have been walking without crutches for a week now. The leg feels okay, no major pain. Some minor swelling at the end of the day. It looks normal again in the morning. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazizaj View Post
I broke my fibula Jan 2nd. Was put in a hard cast on Jan 5th. Kept that for 2 weeks, then asked for an air cast boot (couldn't stand the hard cast; made me nervous not being able to see my foot). After 4 weeks, I got x-rays again and the doctor said that there was bone forming between the broken ends of the bone. I couldn't tell by looking at the x-ray, but he said when he zoomed in on the computer, he could see it. I took his word for it. There really is no way to tell and I don't think you should walk on it before the doctor tells you to. You might cause more damage that way and prolong the healing time. I'm getting x-rays on the 28th, and am hoping to be done with the boot. Have been walking without crutches for a week now. The leg feels okay, no major pain. Some minor swelling at the end of the day. It looks normal again in the morning. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

I'm going back to the orthopedist tomorrow, actually, for x-rays. This past Monday was my turning point -- I started feeling much better (the broken leg as well as the other leg on which I was holding all my weight).

I'm wearing a brace (the removable cast, which I wore for a day, made everything worse) and I'm hoping that he'll say that I can toss that and put weight on my broken leg. Fingers crossed for that!

What I have noticed now is a bump where the break is/was. I mean, if I run my fingers up my ankle, I feel a lump there. I read (Google is my friend ) that that could mean additional bone has formed. I'll ask the doc about that tomorrow, too.

I hope you get some good news on the 28th, and I'm happy for you, too, that your leg feels okay now.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 AM

3 posts, read 147,738 times
Hello to all, key steps in healing, keep a positive attitude always, eat right, REST don't jump the gun on your Dr., remain stress/worry free( this can actually inhibit healing)
I broke my lower right leg on my motor bike on march 30th 2015, they did surgery on me April 2nd and placed a plate and 12 screws in, it is now may 5th and I can squeeze the break site a bit and I'm feeling no pain. I'm in a walking boot with non weight bearing, I wear my boot at night to keep my leg in line and stable and I wear it most of the day( let it air and rest naturally a few hours a day). I take equate calcium+600+minerals two times a day, and I laugh as often as I can, you need to find things that bring joy and happiness for laughter is good for the soul, and a little ( I love Lucy daily) helps too. I am 50 years old, broke both bones in my lower leg on a bike and am now four weeks into my healing stage and I go back on may 20th for my third check up, I will know more then, but the fact that I can touch all around both breaks and I feel virtually no pain is a good sign.
Just do exacally as you are told by your dr. And keep your break stable, try to sleep, during your sleep your body is at its most relaxed state and your deepest healing will occure here. God bless all who suffer here.lol, seriously, I can not stress enough, don't stress, and do rest, keep your chin up. Posted by Chuck Harris, Enid OK.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-17-2016 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Dawn broke it 4+ yrs ago.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
...How can I tell if my left fibula is healing and can take some weight? Or is there even a way to tell before I go for x-rays again on 2/24?
Ask a doctor, and only after they have examined the lag.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 AM

I would caution you NOT!! To put weight on your leg untill your Dr. Says to do so, if your leg takes premature weight (before its ready), you can do yourself more harm then good. Your body can misinturprit the movement on your break site as a joint rather then a solid and soft tissue will or could, form, as to allow for a joint rather then a solid and then you have real problems.
Just try to be patient and ride it out, I KNOW its hard but you have to do this or your leg will not heal correctly, then you will have to have more surgery to correct what you caused which means even more down time and your ins. Co. Not covering it twice.
But I will say, if you had surgery originally, then if your wound area is looking good and healing well on the outside then the inside is most likely as well. Healing is different for everyone, so take longer, age factor, diet,(no sugar or very limited, no caffeine, no smoking, preferably no drinkin), all this can cause issues, try to eat protein, some carrots are good, improve your overall diet, but one thing is without a doubt. Moderator cut: off topic and manual signatures not allowed: read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-21-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 AM

[quote=cwh1966;39702162]I would caution you NOT!! To put weight on your leg untill your Dr. Says to do so, if your leg takes premature weight (before its ready), you can do yourself more harm then good. Your body can misinturprit the movement on your break site as a joint rather then a solid and soft tissue will or could, form, as to allow for a joint rather then a solid and then you have real problems.
Just try to be patient and ride it out, I KNOW its hard but you have to do this or your leg will not heal correctly, then you will have to have more surgery to correct what you caused which means even more down time and your ins. Co. Not covering it twice.
But I will say, if you had surgery originally, then if your wound area is looking good and healing well on the outside then the inside is most likely as well. Healing is different for everyone, so take longer, age factor, diet,(no sugar or very limited, no caffeine, no smoking, preferably no drinkin), all this can cause issues, try to eat protein, some carrots are good, improve your overall diet, Moderator cut: keep religion in the Religion forum, off topic here

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-04-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 48,124 times
I broke my right fibula (non-displaced) on June 13th sliding into 2nd base, and was NWB in a boot (no cast) until I went to my Orthopedist check up on July 16th. Good news- He said my ankle was healing well, and could see a bit of bone formation. Since I was not in any significant pain, he has allowed me to start putting some weight on my ankle to stimulate further healing, with the boot ON. I have been doing the best I can, using 1 crutch, and now I feel more pain than I have for weeks.. Not much swelling except a little in the toes at the end of the day, but every time I take a step I feel a burn in the ankle. I was cleared for some weight bearing, so I'm just wondering if this pain is normal? Or if I am doing something wrong that could set me back.. I see the Doc again on July 31. Anyone have this experience?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allipaige108 View Post
I broke my right fibula (non-displaced) on June 13th sliding into 2nd base, and was NWB in a boot (no cast) until I went to my Orthopedist check up on July 16th. Good news- He said my ankle was healing well, and could see a bit of bone formation. Since I was not in any significant pain, he has allowed me to start putting some weight on my ankle to stimulate further healing, with the boot ON. I have been doing the best I can, using 1 crutch, and now I feel more pain than I have for weeks.. Not much swelling except a little in the toes at the end of the day, but every time I take a step I feel a burn in the ankle. I was cleared for some weight bearing, so I'm just wondering if this pain is normal? Or if I am doing something wrong that could set me back.. I see the Doc again on July 31. Anyone have this experience?

Bones hurt when they're healing. Sometimes we're also worried about hurting ourselves when we're finally allowed to walk on the healing bone, and that makes us focus more on any pain we might feel in that area. If the doc says you can walk on it with the boot, then it's most likely safe to walk on it with the boot. I know when I broke my leg I was afraid to walk on it once I was allowed to. It took a while to trust that it wasn't going to snap from my weight, and it hurt for more than a year, but I had to have mine repaired with plates and screws, so the pain wasn't unusual or unexpected.

It probably wouldn't be surprising for you to feel a little ache in that bone for a while after it's healed, especially when the weather is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness