Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times

Advertisements

I am putting this in health because I believe that this is a serious health issue.
We went on vacation recently to the midwest area. We very quickly noticed the abundance of obese people. The worst was when we went into a buffet restaurant one day for lunch. Now, typically I would not go to a buffet, but after about as many Subway sandwiches as we could stand, we thought we could get the kids some veggies, salads, and noodles for something half way healthy. Well, we were appalled by the size of the clientele who obviously belly up to this buffet for all you can eat on a regular basis. I went for a run the next morning through a residential area and was looked at like some freak! Is this the U.S. standard? Is this what we have come to? I have always lived in cities where this is not typical, so when I travel in the States outside of large urban areas, I am reminded how bad it is out there.
Last night I had the television on and I saw a commercial for a breakfast restaurant advertising all you can eat pancakes with this fat guy sitting there shoveling them down. No wonder this country is in a serious health crisis and it is apalling. Can this ever be turned around or it too late? I find it very sad.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,028,388 times
I got news for you, things are only going to get worse. The price of food is rapidly going up and most people simply wont be able to afford to eat healthy.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Come on...there are plenty of fat people in big US cities as well. Pretending this is endemic only to the Midwest is being pretty disingenuous.

And the argument that "rising food prices" prevent people from eating healthy is disingenuous. I can make a perfectly healthy meal for less than a "value meal" at McDonald's.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Come on...there are plenty of fat people in big US cities as well. Pretending this is endemic only to the Midwest is being pretty disingenuous.

And the argument that "rising food prices" prevent people from eating healthy is disingenuous. I can make a perfectly healthy meal for less than a "value meal" at McDonald's.
Hi MaseMan, I'm actually from Wi myself. Plenty of beer and brat bellies there!
I realize there are fat people all over, big cities as wel. However, there are not the number of OBESE people on the east coast that I witnessed recently visiting South Dakota. MORBIDLY OBESE. I am by no means pretending anything! I see overweight people on a regular basis. But I'd be willing to bet that the percentages of obesity are higher in middle America than on either coast.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I am putting this in health because I believe that this is a serious health issue.
We went on vacation recently to the midwest area. We very quickly noticed the abundance of obese people. The worst was when we went into a buffet restaurant one day for lunch. Now, typically I would not go to a buffet, but after about as many Subway sandwiches as we could stand, we thought we could get the kids some veggies, salads, and noodles for something half way healthy. Well, we were appalled by the size of the clientele who obviously belly up to this buffet for all you can eat on a regular basis. I went for a run the next morning through a residential area and was looked at like some freak! Is this the U.S. standard? Is this what we have come to? I have always lived in cities where this is not typical, so when I travel in the States outside of large urban areas, I am reminded how bad it is out there.
Last night I had the television on and I saw a commercial for a breakfast restaurant advertising all you can eat pancakes with this fat guy sitting there shoveling them down. No wonder this country is in a serious health crisis and it is apalling. Can this ever be turned around or it too late? I find it very sad.

Hmmmm. Is self-righteousness and a jugmental attitude something you learned at home, or has it just sprung full-blown from your own hubris?

What do you care how fat other people are?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Is there a point to this thread?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I'm not sure what L.K.'s point was, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion. Health care costs are rising rapidly and many, many diseases are caused or exacerbated by obesity. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and arthritis have all been linked to obesity. The increased costs affect us all.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not sure what L.K.'s point was, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion. Health care costs are rising rapidly and many, many diseases are caused or exacerbated by obesity. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and arthritis have all been linked to obesity. The increased costs affect us all.
This is a very good point.

A lot of it just has to do with our increasingly sedentary lifestyle and easy access to junk food.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Blame it on processed foods (pasta too, by the way). People are NOT preparing good, wholesome food. They are eating fast food, as MaseeMan so astutely mentioned.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I got news for you, things are only going to get worse. The price of food is rapidly going up and most people simply wont be able to afford to eat healthy.
I know that this is a popular argument regarding obesity, but I don't believe that high food prices are the cause of obesity. While it's true that an overweight person might be malnourished because he cannot afford fresh fruits and vegetables, it doesn't follow that he necessarily must consume more calories to make up for it. If you look at pictures of people who lived through the Great Depression, when people truly could not afford to "eat healthy," you never see a fat person.

Soft drinks are a big contributing factor to obesity, but no one is forced to drink them instead of water. That's a choice people make. The same is true of eating at a fast food restaurant. The meals often contain huge amounts of calories, but nothing is stopping a person from ordering the smallest burger and fries and drinking water. Beans and rice are some of the cheapest food out there and they're filling and nutritious. Deciding to forego them for some cheap fatty meat like hot dogs or fried chicken is another choice people make.

I can see that if someone does not have access to a grocery store, or does not have the means to cook a simple meal, that their choices may be very limited. But if someone has running water, a stove, refrigerator, basic cooking implements and a little bit of time, they can almost always prepare a cheap nutritious meal at home that does not exceed the number of calories they need to be eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.