Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 14,169 times

Advertisements

I went to the hospital last night for pain in my lower abdominal. I havent had an menstraul in 2 months and pregnancy testm came out negative. They diagnoise me with an urinary tract. Didn't do anymore tests than an urine test. Do i need to get an second opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41yroldwoman View Post
I went to the hospital last night for pain in my lower abdominal. I havent had an menstraul in 2 months and pregnancy testm came out negative. They diagnoise me with an urinary tract. Didn't do anymore tests than an urine test. Do i need to get an second opinion.
Welcome to City Data! However, next time it would be best to start a new thread, as your problem is different from the one under discussion here.

You should see a gynecologist. He or she can confirm that the urinary infection is getting better and find the cause of the menstrual problem.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Did they give you medicine? If your symptoms go away probably not. This is something a general practitioner can treat; if you don't feel better in a few days you should probably go see one.

Welcome to C-D. As previously mentioned above, next time start a new thread when the subject doesn't quite match the title.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
New drug may be best treatment for leukemia yet - CNN.com

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Have you had any RA symptoms such as joint pain or swelling in your wrists, hands, ankles or feet? Or fever and fatigue? Morning stiffness? There is a blood test to look for rheumatoid factor if it hasn't already been done. Your hematologist may have already done this test.

Good luck. I know how hard it is waiting for answers. Sending good thoughts your way.

Looks like the OP has an ele sed rate so there may be something there Auto immune. You don't always have a positive rf to necessarily have RA. I didn't for probably for about the first 5-6 years I had RA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA51 View Post
I am with Michigansnowflake, I have been being told by my dr that I have critical high white count and need to see a hematologist for further investigation. When I called the dr office to make that appt I found that I was calling a Oncology dr. I need top know why they are hematologist/oncologist?? That is enough to scare someone. And I have had 2 siblings in the last few years die from diff kinds of cancer and other family members that have found that they have cancer. I thought cancer was found by tumors or lumps? Can any other kind of cancer be found in the blood besides Leukemia? And could having bad teeth raise your white sell count?
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I'm worried and confused.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Hi Michigansnowflake. Most drs who practice in that line do both. Hematology and Oncology. It is scary to the patient because when they hear Oncologist they think cancer right off the bat. A Hematology is the study of blood, the blood-forming organs, and blood diseases.

I had a scare not too long ago with several different blood tests that were off and I had so many tests and procedures.....not fun at all. I have a family history between my parents of several different forms of cancers.

Not all cancers are tumors or lumps, etc. My mother died from a cancer called Small cell lung carcinoma. There were no tumors to be removed.

It all seemed to finally work itself out but I still have preventative care and screenings due to all of the cancers.

I def would rather a Hematologist that also knew the study of Oncology and vice verse.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
High white blood cell count: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Old 06-28-2013, 03:48 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Everyone has a urinary tract-that's part of human anatomy. What they're probably thinking is a urinary tract infection (UTI). The test they did was most likely a urine culture which takes at least 2 days to get results (one to id the organism causing the infection, another to figure out which antibiotic it's sensitive to, meaning which one will kill it.) They used to give a general broad spectrum antibiotic hoping it'll be affective but with so many bacteria becoming resistant to a lot of antibiotics, this practice is dying out.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
In my routine check-up, my WBC count was high. My dr, looking back through records showed me where it has been slowly creeping up the last 4 years. Its not overly high but she is sending me to a Hemotoligist for further checking. I am kinda freaked out....anyone have any info on this?
Could be benign, an autoimmune disease, cancer, or infection. Was one type of wbc elevated more than others? Do you have any symptoms?

Old 06-28-2013, 04:32 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA51 View Post
I am with Michigansnowflake, I have been being told by my dr that I have critical high white count and need to see a hematologist for further investigation. When I called the dr office to make that appt I found that I was calling a Oncology dr. I need top know why they are hematologist/oncologist?? That is enough to scare someone. And I have had 2 siblings in the last few years die from diff kinds of cancer and other family members that have found that they have cancer. I thought cancer was found by tumors or lumps? Can any other kind of cancer be found in the blood besides Leukemia? And could having bad teeth raise your white sell count?
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I'm worried and confused.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Blood, Lymphatic & Bone Marrow Cancers Program | Lymphoma, Cutaneous Lymphoma, Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma, Myelodysplastic Syndromes | University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

You are at a much higher risk of developing cancer because of the strong family history. They will need to monitor you more frequently, and yes, blood work can be the first clue. I hope that you are OK. Get every test done under the sun, and make sure to see your doc more frequently.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 272,146 times
Default High WBC count

West Seatle girl, no need to panic, but this does need to be taken seriously. It's very good that you're set to see an oncologist. CML (chronic Myelogenous Leukemia) is usually very slow growing, so a slow, steady increase over time (years) of WBC count could be a sign of its presence. You didn't say how high your count was, or how old you were (it usually strikes people in their 60's......I was "very young" at 47), but if you look back at this thread you'll see that my count was over 65K when discovered (and it went to 73k by the time I started treatment). There are some other reasons that could account for a high count, some very rare infections, for example. This can be a scary time, but take comfort in the fact that even if it turns out to be CML, there have been remarkable breakthroughs in treatment of CML over the past 15 years or so, and even if in advanced stages, it is no longer even close to a death sentence as would have been the case a couple decades ago. Many current patients live decades with this disease and there are additional (more promising) treatments currently under development as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness