Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,990,042 times

Advertisements

Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Sixty percent of adults can't digest milk - USATODAY.com

So, I guess yogurt sales are not so great the world over, and ice cream? Some ethnic groups use a lot of sour cream. I wonder if it is really as prevalent as we think? The article says not digesting dairy is the NORM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,869,141 times
Cow milk is wonderful food..........for baby cows.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So, I guess yogurt sales are not so great the world over, and ice cream? Some ethnic groups use a lot of sour cream. I wonder if it is really as prevalent as we think? The article says not digesting dairy is the NORM.
It's thought that the bacterial cultures in yogurt, cheese, and sour cream either aid in lactose digestion or cut down on the presence of lactose itself, so some people who are lactose intolerant can consume them without issues..

Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times
Here's a really crazy, out there idea.

If milk and/or milk products agree with you, and you like them, enjoy!

If they don't, then don't, and don't worry about what anyone else is enjoying.

Sounds simple, right? Apparently not, as it's equally apparent that we've raised a culture of people who really really really care what other people are eating that they personally don't like or doesn't agree with them and that's just so wrong!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,819,068 times
Many milk products don't agree with me, but I eat them anyway. Everyone just has to put up with my moodswings and flatulence when I'm on a dairy bender

Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Sounds simple, right? Apparently not, as it's equally apparent that we've raised a culture of people who really really really care what other people are eating that they personally don't like or doesn't agree with them and that's just so wrong!
Agree 100%. As I study and learn more about the blood type diet, it is making more and more sense that people are not all the same biologically, this explains why some people swell up like a tick from eating wheat while others metabolize it just fine.

One of the best things learned so far is the method described to determine if you are sensitive to a particular foodstuff (dairy, for instance). Eliminate it from your diet for a week, and see how you feel. A lot of people eat things without a thought about it, and then an hour later they have acute heart burn, bloating, IBS, etc. and fail to see the link. They go to their doctors and ask for medicine to treat their symptoms instead of finding out the root of their malaise.

I really don't get the people who want to control how everyone else eats. Take the time to figure out which foods your body responds best to, and which ones you need to avoid. Each person will have different results, we are not all the same.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM

16,402 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:

C'mon THL, some people are NOT happy unless they are telling people what THEY should eat.

Personally, I plan to support the hard working Midwestern dairy farmers by purchasing my share of Wisconsin and Iowa cheeses.

And if those same people want to eat tofu, have at it.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's thought that the bacterial cultures in yogurt, cheese, and sour cream either aid in lactose digestion or cut down on the presence of lactose itself, so some people who are lactose intolerant can consume them without issues..
I have problems with dairy. I'm not sure that it's the lactase problem. Dairy contains other elements. Yogurt is particularly problematic for me and soft cheeses like ricotta and fresh mozzarella (which I LOVE), as well as swiss if I overdo it. I can have fatty cheese, like cheddar, though.

The higher the fat content, the easier it is for me to ingest. I read that fat slows down the body's absorption and that seems to work for me. I also read that although diabetics should not be eating a lot of carbs, sugar, and fat, IF they DO have a bit of sugar having fat with it prevents it from rushing into the blood stream too quickly.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:

What?

There are a lot of people who go through their lives sub optimized only because they are not aware that their diet is bad for them. Some people do not react to foods until hours or days later. This is not a simple issue. Some food sensitivities progress very slowly, so the person is clueless as to what's causing it. They may have eaten peanuts all their lives and are clueless because the severity of the reaction keeps building very slowly.

People like to inform and assist one another. Sometimes doctors are not up on all aspects of a problem and some of us can't afford to run to the doctors on a regular basis and insist on getting tested in various ways until the solution/problem is found.

Of course, we help each other. Why not?

Please tell me where I am telling other people what to eat. That's crazy talk.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Many milk products don't agree with me, but I eat them anyway. Everyone just has to put up with my moodswings and flatulence when I'm on a dairy bender
I know. I used to devour skim milk.
Some doctors call it an allergic addiction.

I love cheese lasagna.

I can have a bit of cheddar cheese daily with no problems and maybe some high fat ice cream every now and again.

We just have to know our own bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness