Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 19,603 times

Advertisements

My skins going crazy. I'm 37 with oily skin but I've never broken out before until now. I keep getting terrible breakouts and big cyst like pimples on my chin only. I keep switching skincare and most for acne dry me out too much. Has anyone had any luck with Dermalogica, Kinerase, Epionch, and Clarins? I need a good skincare regime fast. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina_d2d View Post
My skins going crazy. I'm 37 with oily skin but I've never broken out before until now. I keep getting terrible breakouts and big cyst like pimples on my chin only. I keep switching skincare and most for acne dry me out too much. Has anyone had any luck with Dermalogica, Kinerase, Epionch, and Clarins? I need a good skincare regime fast. Any suggestions?
Go to one of the Merle Norman studios and let them give you a (free) facial. It's the only brand I have ever been able to use that does not break out my face. I use their cleansing cream (never any soap), toner, base and powder and all other creams and such, after I've tried their samples. My daughter had the same problem and cleared hers up also.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
I think I would check with a dermatologist first.

If there are hormonal changes afoot then that's another problem.

Also--diet and exercise.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Get tested for skin allergies. Don't knock this or say its bullocks until you get tested and change your diet. Been there, done that. I found out I have an extreme sensitivity to gluten and wheat. Take this route BEFORE you go to a dermatologist and get put on creams/meds that only cover up and mask the problem.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Smile birth control pills, the quick and easy solution

Quote:

I went on birth control pills at age 34 when my skin had gotten to a similar place. I recommend them without question. I am on Orthocyclen and have been for nearly 4 years. My sex drive has not been effected. My view also is, how can I expect to have sex (I am not involved at the moment) if my skin is not perfectly clear. Perfect skin is more important to me. Ortho has on occasion even *raised* my sex drive. I recommend that you get on something like it soon. A book that may help you sort out what is happening to your skin is It's My Ovaries Stupid by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Things with tea tree oil in them are good for acne. Are you gaining weight, if yes could be thyroid problems also.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM

208 posts, read 416,090 times
Getting tested for allergies is a good idea.

If you're touching your face you should stop. You might be amazed at how often a person rests their head/face on their hands. It's usually the same spot on the face which leads to pimples and clogged pores. Chins are pretty popular.

Whatever soap you use try to wash your face for at least two minutes. It makes a huge difference. Most of the time we aren't cleaning our faces well enough. It may seem like a lot at first but it isn't really.

Because you'll be washing your face for two minutes stay away from extra strength cleansers. It may also prove helpful to buy both a creamy and a liquid formula (of the same cleanser) in case you need to switch up. One may be too strong on some days.

The other advice I would offer is to moisturize with jojoba oil. It balances out your oil production so your face isn't producing more than it needs. It's also identical to your natural sebum but is not greasy at all. The amount you need is generally 1/3 of dime. Be sure to purchase a quality brand. You get what you pay for. Try adding an essential oil like geranium or grape seed to the jojoba. These oils (which aren't oily) also help to adjust sebum production, remove inflammation from existing acne and are great for the skin.

If you can, try wiping your face with witch hazel after washing. It's a wonderful and inexpensive toner that works to speed healing and decrease scarring.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
You don't need to buy that expensive stuff. Buy Cetaphil and wash your face 2x a day. Get some AHA Revitalizing Gel 15. You buy it online for about $20 a bottle and it lasts a year. Put it on your face before you go to bed. It's glycolic acid and gets away that top layer of skin so your pores don't clog.

Stop using moisturizing creams. If you've got oily skin, you don't need it. And I don't know what you're using for makeup, but some of those makeups and creams will clog your pores.

Greenie

Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
I swear by Proactive! It is a miracle! Keeps the problems away without drying your skin.Order now and sign up for recurring shipments.You get cleanser,toner and moisturizer.I also use their sunscreen and other things too.It is not too expensive either.Sounds like you are going through a hormonal thing.I worked in the beauty biz for years and learned that usually chin break-outs are hormonal.I have always had oily skin and breakouts.I wish Proactive would have been around when I was a teenager.It would have saved my self esteem!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 PM

853 posts, read 968,527 times
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing break out issues. It's pretty darn traumatic having acne as a teenager - but even more so when you're older. It's just not right or fair~!!!

I agree with L.K. - try Proactiv. They have ads on the radio all the time and you can try it for free! Also, you can log on to their website: Proactiv® Solution - Official Site and read some of the success stories - Jessica Simpson and Vanessa Williams are two celebs that are satisfied customers!

Last edited by wurd4wurd; 12-01-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Made correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness