Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 31,503 times

Advertisements

I wrote before about the hair loss in my self and my 2 daughters. It was recommended that we see a civillian doctor. I took my step-daughter this week to a civillian dermatologist who has never had anybody come to her with problems due to toxins. She wants me to email her the names of chemicals that could possibly be in this house. We are on a military base and the house was built in the 1950's. I've tried researching for chemical names. I know some stick around for 20 years. Does anybody know where a list is that says what chemicals the military doesn't use anymore. I know of a couple they stopped using a few years ago because they cause cancer. But I have no idea what it could be from 20 years ago or if it's mold or something else in the house. I've been saving our hair daily and realized a couple of days ago that some of the short hairs are eyebrow hair. Also, there's less leg hairs coming in. I can count them if I wanted to.

I think I should see a medical toxicology doctor but there are only a few in the United States that I could find and they are many states away. I'd have to drive with all my kids and I don't know how long this stuff will stay in my system for testing. The base tested us after we were living in the hotel so I don't know if those tests were accurate. I mean, new hair was growing in so whatever causes us to lose it wasn't causing it then.
I've tried to make appts with occupational health doctors but they won't see me because I'm a housewife and they won't see me. Who else specializes in environmental illnesses. Who can I see for sick building syndrome? A dermatologist or family practice doctor doesn't look for the answers and won't look at the whole family's medical history. We've checked on renting. The town is not right outside the base. The rents in that small town are way too expensive and we can't buy because this base might be changing in a few years and losing many people here.

I just need to find out what's wrong with us and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
I'd need to think a bit to answer the questions about doctors, organizations, etc. But I was wondering if the added symptom of eyebrow loss might narrow the focus? It seems to me that, while, many things can cause hair loss, the list of things causing eyebrow loss (or the combination) is much smaller. I guess it could still point to toxins, but maybe it points more to dermatological conditions? I realize you had some other symptoms. I'm just wondering if anyone here has thoughts on this.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Eyebrows Fell Out After Moving to a New House - Hair Loss Information by Dr. William Rassman

Quote:
Hi I moved into this new house and about a week in i began to experience dryness around my eyebrows and my eyebrows began to fall out because these little white and clear things which may have been exposed hair follicle would form at the base of the hair and the hairs would subsequentely fall out. I have patches of missing hair and saw a dermatologist who said it was seborrhiec dermatitis which i dont think it is - would you have any clue what this condition may be
?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 AM

167 posts, read 258,424 times
have you thought about poision controll? Check with the local hospital, they may be able to tell you what to do or who to call.

Good luck, Lisa

Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Hi -
I sent you a private message some time ago. Did you get it?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM

54 posts, read 333,375 times
may be anather reason search about family history for allopasia eriata

Old 01-28-2008, 06:38 AM

25 posts, read 108,141 times
Have you had your thyroid checked? I have your symptoms too and it's my thyroid. Environmental issues can affect the thyroid, such as too much flouride in your water.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanna View Post
Have you had your thyroid checked? I have your symptoms too and it's my thyroid. Environmental issues can affect the thyroid, such as too much flouride in your water.
After taking thyroid meds my eye brows became fuller. It's an easy blood test.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
We lived on am AFB base in Ca back in the early 90's it closed and when it did the local authority would not use the houses. We were told was because of the plumbing !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness