Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Maybe high BP is normal for YOU.

Not everything is a medical issue that has to be fixed.

I know people that have high BP, body temps that are no where near 98.6, low BP, etc. Everyone is different.

Also: Every time guidelines are reviewed they lower the norm to ensure more people are *eligible* for the drugs. Take all those guidelines with a grain of salt (and YES you need salt, don't shy away from it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I am on Micardia 40mg/HTZ and it is not as good at keeping my BP down as lisiniprol. I have messaged my primary care manager if we can go back. I have one full Rx of lisiniprol left, I may go off the Micardis for a day or two, then switch..
Different classes of meds work better for different people, best option is what you are doing. Check with your PCP and find out works best for you.

Also best to avoid people who think "high BP is normal for YOU" since they aren't the ones who will be dealing the stroke or heart issues that may result from following their cavalier advice.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Different classes of meds work better for different people, best option is what you are doing. Check with your PCP and find out works best for you.

Also best to avoid people who think "high BP is normal for YOU" since they aren't the ones who will be dealing the stroke or heart issues that may result from following their cavalier advice.
I will be going to PCM this week.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Agree with the others that you may just need to increase your medication slightly or change to or add another medicine.

Great job on all of your weight loss and exercise regimen! That is fantastic, and clearly had an impact on your blood pressure. Keep it up!

But unfortunately many of us (especially men) cannot fight our genetics, and will have high blood pressure that often increases more with age. Most will need a medicine even if they optimize diet and exercise. It is also very common for people to need multiple medications to keep their blood pressure in that golden zone. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Were you having a lot of side effects with your losartan? What were they? Usually increasing the dose doesn't increase the side effects for that medicine, but if it is unpleasant for you your doctor can change your medicine to a different one.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 01-21-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Maybe high BP is normal for YOU.

Not everything is a medical issue that has to be fixed.

I know people that have high BP, body temps that are no where near 98.6, low BP, etc. Everyone is different.

Also: Every time guidelines are reviewed they lower the norm to ensure more people are *eligible* for the drugs. Take all those guidelines with a grain of salt (and YES you need salt, don't shy away from it).
The blood pressure level at which treatment is recommended changes as new data shows that treatment at that level prevents heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure.

Everyone needs salt. No one needs too much, and some people with high BP are salt sensitive.

Physicians know that body temperature fluctuates during the day. No one number is normal.

If you know people with untreated hypertension, be prepared to hear they have had complications of it eventually.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
OP mentioned a "constant 120/80" and thinking back when I started checking BP and I'm old, so I was in my early 40's, I carry a little card that says it was 130/80...I've read and researched and done so much work on the BP issue and know it changes almost every minute of our lives. I'm 79, take a couple meds and BP readings are different all the time but they are all good in my MD's mind and mine.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Maybe try cutting-down on salt and carbs.

Both salt and carbs can make some people retain water, which adds volume to your vasculature, causing an increase in blood-pressure.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:44 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Big Pharm does have allot to say about what data is put into US citizen hands.
Clinic called, they will let PCM know tomorrow I was asking about BP meds etc. due to government shutdown, they were closed today. Moderator cut: removed political comment

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-22-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
It could be a PHYSICAL reason/deformity causing your HBP....I have fibromuscular dysplasia......it causes my renal arteries to look like a row of beads, rather than a smooth artery. I've been told IF I develop HBP (which I don't have now!), to have the doctor check for narrowing of those arteries. Apparently, FMD can cause narrowing of the affected arteries, which, in turn show up as HBP. I'm sure there are other physical reasons.
So go and get really checked out!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
High blood pressure is normal is some people. I've had BP of 145 to 155 over 75 for 40+ years. Doc said not to worry as many people are in that range with no problems. I don't worry, I feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness