Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times

Advertisements

An Orthopedic doc did an injection in my left knee because I have a torn meniscus. I really wanted the surgery but he insisted insurance requires we do injections first. The injection was done 12/20/2017 and I was pleasantly surprised that the pain I had been experiencing was gone within a couple of days. What a relief!! Right? Well-the pain has returned. Began again a few days ago. I'm going to call the doc back tomorrow but meanwhile was curious if anyone else has had the injection -what results did you have?
The reason I had insisted on the surgery was for this very reason. If I had had the surgery I would already be a month into recovery. I considered the injection to be a Band-Aid temporary solution. I think I was correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
It depends on the person, the condition of the knee and the cause of the pain, and how and how much you use it after the shot. So basically, you might as well toss a coin for the answer, but the relief is divine for as long as it lasts. It's not a solution, though, so eventually you're back where you started.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
My daughter's torn menicus healed on it's own. Cortisone injections are iffy and I won't do them. Nor am I anxious to do surgeries, for me absolutely last resort. I have a nasty knee and am doing all to keep going with what I do.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
...was curious if anyone else has had the injection -what results did you have?...

About 13-14 years ago, when I had a knee that was so painful I couldnt walk, an ortho doc gave me a cocktail steroid/painkiller shot. The shot was very uncomfortable but the pain relief was immediate. I had to go back in two weeks for another shot because the knee became painful again and I havent had any pain at all since then.

Your doc said that insurance required him to use an injection before performing surgery. Maybe your situation is such that he's aware an injection wont solve your problem -- but he still had to do it because of insurance requirements. So dont blame the doc -- blame the insurance.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post

An Orthopedic doc did an injection in my left knee because I have a torn meniscus. I really wanted the surgery but he insisted insurance requires we do injections first. The injection was done 12/20/2017 and I was pleasantly surprised that the pain I had been experiencing was gone within a couple of days. What a relief!! Right? Well-the pain has returned. Began again a few days ago. I'm going to call the doc back tomorrow but meanwhile was curious if anyone else has had the injection -what results did you have?
The reason I had insisted on the surgery was for this very reason. If I had had the surgery I would already be a month into recovery. I considered the injection to be a Band-Aid temporary solution. I think I was correct
Are you talking about a shot of Synvisc (google it) or are you talking about a shot of cortisone?

A cortisone shot lasted a couple months in the beginning when the progression of my knee osteoarthritis was not at its worst stages, and Synvisc did not help much at all.

When my knee osteoarthritis and loss of cartilage became at its worst stage, a cortisone shot did not work at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM

You might want to read up on surgery for a torn meniscus. For many people, studies have shown that surgery for a torn meniscus (depending on the type & extent of tear) has the same results as no surgery at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:29 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
So dont blame the doc -- blame the insurance.
oh I wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You might want to read up on surgery for a torn meniscus. For many people, studies have shown that surgery for a torn meniscus (depending on the type & extent of tear) has the same results as no surgery at all.
yea, I did read that. I'm just so tired of the pain.............grasping at straws here.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

My daughter's torn menicus healed on it's own. Cortisone injections are iffy and I won't do them. Nor am I anxious to do surgeries, for me absolutely last resort. I have a nasty knee and am doing all to keep going with what I do.
Yes, studies have shown that torn meniscus' often heal on their own, and that in a large number of cases, the surgery has the same results as no surgery at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
As I see it all insurance wants MD's to do everything possible, cortisone, synvisc, and all else before embarking on surgery. I believe that is what OP meant.

Cortisone and synvisc (HA injections, two sessions for me) did nothing.

With these surgeries, there are other issues we end up with..ligament damage, soft tissue damage -- I even think this "cleaning out" the docs did when they found the infection, caused more issues. 2 months of abx drugs and cleaning out.

I've seen this before but thought I'd post it for OP

https://www.howardluksmd.com/orthope...cus-tear-heal/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-24-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
For me the first one lasted 5.5 months. It was a miracle for me. Nothing at first then after about four days, I felt 15 years younger. When it wore off, the second one did nothing. I had surgery just before thanksgiving and am waiting to see how much improvement i end up with. surgery is less of a magic transformation, but it allows you to slowly rebuild strength and flexibility where it was too painful to do so before. How well it works will depend on how hard I work at it. I need to work harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness