Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:46 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

I have taken a couple of medications regularly for years. I get 90 day prescriptions with 3 refills, so technically, I don't have to go back to see the doctor until my next yearly visit where blood work is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 01:52 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
He has -ordered- me to cut down. So I don't really have any choice. That's why he changed the prescription refill orders. To reinforce the need to cut down. I've been taking zolpidem since 2005. I don't object to weaning off of it, as long as the doctor can present me with a replacement alternative that will actually work.

I know getting my deviated septum repaired will help, but I'm not sure I want to go that route, and use breathe-right strips with some measure of success instead.

I don't have a TV in the bedroom. I don't eat or drink too close to bedtime, except enough water to swallow the couple of medications I take once a day, right before bed. (A few sips). Behavior mod won't work on someone with an unusual brain chemistry. I definitely need some kind of medication. Otherwise I lay down for bed around 3-4 hours before I actually need to fall asleep, and then 6-7 hours of actually sleeping.
Great if you're able to cut down.
What are they offering you instead of ambien? The only thing that would do it for me is valium, no one will prescribe that. I've tried the other stuff, none of it works for me. No OTC's either. My brain just doesn't shut off plus I have chronic pain.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
I have four doctors in four separate disciplines who provide maintenance medications for me, one of which is a Sch. II narcotic (which I don't take for pain), and none of the doctors require more than an annual visit. If I run out of refills before a scheduled annual visit, I can just call the office(s) and request a new Rx. (And of course, the Sch. II drug doesn't come with refills so I have to request a new Rx to be sent to the pharmacy monthly or bimonthly.)

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 02-18-2021 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What are they offering you instead of ambien? The only thing that would do it for me is valium, no one will prescribe that. I've tried the other stuff, none of it works for me. No OTC's either. My brain just doesn't shut off plus I have chronic pain.
If you've an open mind to try something new, you might try a strong tea made from hops.

Hops can be ordered on line.

Hops has a strong sedative effect. It works for many. Non-addictive.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ca...et-me-to-sleep

Old 02-18-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
If you've an open mind to try something new, you might try a strong tea made from hops.

Hops can be ordered on line.

Hops has a strong sedative effect. It works for many. Non-addictive.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ca...et-me-to-sleep
Do you have a site to recommend to buy some? Walgreens supposedly sells it but I don't know how potent it would be. Melatonin doesn't work. Been there and done that. I'd pick up a bottle to try it out.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:29 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Do you have a site to recommend to buy some? Walgreens supposedly sells it but I don't know how potent it would be. Melatonin doesn't work. Been there and done that. I'd pick up a bottle to try it out.

The drugstore pills may not be very potent/effective as you said. I'd go with the dried hops or the extract for effectiveness...

https://mountainroseherbs.com/

Mountain Rose is well-respected. They offer both the extract and the dried hops.

If getting the dried hops, you can get a tea ball to put it into and brew your own hops tea. It's more economical than the extract -- but the extract is simpler...

This is a tea ball:

https://www.kitchenrestock.com/thund...9cb8280f3aa489

Good luck! I bet hops will help...

Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Quote:

Why won't they prescribe valium? I have no issues getting valium and take it 2-3 times a day.

Things are getting so confusing; none of the drugstores will fill my fentanyl patches, so we count on our Army pharmacy to fill it (not always convenient since covid-19 protocols were put in place).

Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Why won't they prescribe valium? I have no issues getting valium and take it 2-3 times a day.

Things are getting so confusing; none of the drugstores will fill my fentanyl patches, so we count on our Army pharmacy to fill it (not always convenient since covid-19 protocols were put in place).

My pain management doctor doesn't want me getting addicted LMFAO

Most pharmacies don't carry my main med. I use the pharmacy in my doctors office. I used to fill at Walgreen but they black balled me about 5 years ago.

That pharmacist is gone, the new one said he'd take me back but I don't need them. Hopefully I never will.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Those were my exact thoughts but I didn't want to go there if I was being unkind...
Every 3 months here as well and it's definitely a money making ploy.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It's pretty customary now. I think they do it to score a quick office visit fee.
NOPE:

One of the most common causes of malpractice lawsuits is prescribing without checking on the patient. If something goes wrong the doc loses the case every time. Malpractice health insurance companies routine give seminars on this topic, they advice docs not to prescribe without assessing the patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness