Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 12:29 PM

22,033 posts, read 13,054,832 times

Advertisements

...but suddenly I wake up in the morning or in the middle of the night with my eyes stuck closed. Not in "eyelashes stuck together," but literally my eyeball is stuck to my eyelid... Sometimes both, but usually just (the same) one. When I try to open them, it hurts like heck! Then it finally unsticks, my eyes start watering like crazy, and that's the end of me getting any sleep for awhile. You can actually get a corneal abrasion from this. I get that these are the "dry eyes" you hear about in the commercials and I need to use some fake tears at bedtime, but why all of a sudden would one develop this? Is it an age thing???

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 01:18 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Funny timing for your question. I was just talking about this at length with a family friend. She has "dry eye". She's commented for years that it has gotten worse with age. Apparently tear production decreases as you get older and the balance of mucus, oil, and water in tears also changes. It can be affected by all sorts of things including menopause, medications, thyroid changes, nutrition, etc. Obviously temporary changes in air humidity, airborne irritants play into it too. Get your eyes checked. Better safe than sorry. The wrong eye drops might cover up a problem instead of treat it.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,565,262 times
I had a similar issue with unusually dry eyes - where in the morning I had to use my finger to help break the suction in order to open my left eye. Also had an issue with my right eye, but, not quite as bad

The sudden change where my dry eyes got really bad was when my cataracts got to the point where my eye surgeon said they were to the point I should have cataract surgery.

See your ophthalmologist to have your eyes checked.

PS: fake tears at bedtime just results in residue on your eyelashes in the morning. You end up rubbing and irritating your eyes even more to get the residue off. If you use fake tears do it well before you go to sleep.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:29 PM

316 posts, read 305,270 times
It sounds like blepharitis...

"An inflammation of the eyelid that affects the eyelashes or tear production.

Blepharitis commonly occurs when the tiny oil glands of the inner eyelid become inflamed. It often occurs along with other skin conditions or allergies.

Symptoms include red, itchy eyelids that may look greasy and crusted. Dry eyes also are a symptom.
Treatments include cleaning the eyelids, antibiotic or steroid eyedrops, and treating underlying conditions."

Do you have a noticeable bump on your eyelid(s)? That could be a chalazion, which is painful.

I believe they both occur due to the oil glands getting clogged or bacteria. In my case, I had a chalazion that seemed to crop up after I started using a night-time moisturizer. I stopped right away and used warm compresses on my eyelid a couple of times a day, making sure when I washed my face before bed, to pay extra attention to washing both eyelids. It took a few weeks for the bump to finally heal.

If you are an eye makeup user, it's especially important to make sure you remove all of it before bed.

I have seen specialized eyelid wipes sold at Target and CVS.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Old 07-20-2021, 01:34 PM

14,978 posts, read 12,194,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...but suddenly I wake up in the morning or in the middle of the night with my eyes stuck closed. Not in "eyelashes stuck together," but literally my eyeball is stuck to my eyelid... Sometimes both, but usually just (the same) one. When I try to open them, it hurts like heck! Then it finally unsticks, my eyes start watering like crazy, and that's the end of me getting any sleep for awhile. You can actually get a corneal abrasion from this. I get that these are the "dry eyes" you hear about in the commercials and I need to use some fake tears at bedtime, but why all of a sudden would one develop this? Is it an age thing???

Anyone else?

Ouch! Are you by any chance sleeping under a ceiling fan or have one blowing on you as you sleep? I can't say I've ever had the experience you describe, but I wake up at night sometimes with my eyes feeling like pebbles in my head. I sleep with a ceiling fan on full blast, and that, along with some of the medication I take have a side effect of drying out the mucus membranes, and the eyes. I use lubricating eye drops during the night, as many times as I need to, and that helps.

You don't want to get a corneal abrasion- my husband has had those, and they're intensely painful.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:34 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,073,411 times
yep, dry eyes due to Meibomian (oil) glands being blocked. I told my eye doctor, my eyes are watering - she said, that's one of the symptoms of dry eye. What?! Yes, because when there is not enough oil in the tears, the eye tries to overcompensate with the watery tears. The oil in the tears keeps them from evaporating.

Hot compresses as many times a day as you can stand. I am also a sufferer.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,468,079 times
I have dry eyes at night from lasik. Use GenTeal Tears Lubricant Eye Ointment (the ointment). (I squeeze a small bit in the corner of each eye). Problem solved.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:25 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,565,262 times
OP,
As you can see from the responses thus far - you need to determine what is causing your dry eyes before you determine how to treat the problem. Schedule an appointment with your eye doctor.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:16 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Anyone else?
Happened to me also. Apparently, if you are over 55, this is a "thing". I had it recently. It sucks. More bad news, once you have it, it's more likely to return. Do see a Dr, to make sure it is what I think. I did.

I keep cleaning pads from a natural food store in my house at all times. I will look for the brand and name if you want.

I commiserate.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,079,456 times
Nutrient deficiencies are associated with dry eye: omega-3, A, D and B12. Adequate dietary amounts of these are needed to produce tears and lubricate your eyes. Omega-3 is needed for the meibomian glands to produce the oily part of tears, and it soothes inflammation. Low B12 is associated with severe dry eye; this one helps to repair corneal abrasions too.

Certain medications are associated with dry eyes also. If you aren't taking them, you may be deficient in one or more of these nutrients. If adequate amounts are included in your diet, your absorption may have declined and supplements may be required.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 07-21-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness