Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 12:49 PM

17,714 posts, read 6,967,791 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with shingles this morning and started on valacylovir. It’s on my back and chest, and under my armpit all on the right side.

It does not itch but it is painful enough to interfere with falling asleep. If anyone else has had shingles, how did you manage the symptoms? Advil isn’t doing much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 02:53 PM

8,786 posts, read 5,088,320 times
Sorry no advice. I will stop complaining about my arm still being sore from the vaxx I got 3 days ago though.
That shot was also the most painful shot, I have ever gotten....DH said the same....three days latter our arms are still red.
If you went on the meds soon enough, my doctor said it wouldn`t be to bad. Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Sorry no advice. I will stop complaining about my arm still being sore from the vaxx I got 3 days ago though.
That shot was also the most painful shot, I have ever gotten....DH said the same....three days latter our arms are still red.
If you went on the meds soon enough, my doctor said it wouldn`t be to bad. Good Luck!
Thanks. I was planning on getting the vaccine but I’m not sure you can get it at age 50.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:43 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,516,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Thanks. I was planning on getting the vaccine but I’m not sure you can get it at age 50.
You can get at 50. In fact that’s the age where the CDC recommends you get one. In fact, once you clear this case of Shingles, you’d still be recommended to take the vaccine as Shingles can come back.

So our generation all had chickenpox and as a result we have the VZV virus latent in our body’s. Our Tcells keep it in check but as our immune system falters it can come out in the form of Shingles.

The vaccine does not get rid of VZV and is not even recommended as protective immunity against VZV - that’s what the chickenpox vaccine is for. Instead it creates memory bcells where you will make an antibody towards one protein on the virus which in theory will reduce and shorten symptom duration of shingles.

Me personally if I were in your shoes would be looking into a way to give your immune system a boost. Or if you were under a lot of stress/ not sleeping fix that.

As for valacylovir, it along with the merry family of drugs derived from acyclovir, seem to reduce symptoms around twice as fast according to the clinical trials. I haven’t dug enough into those trials to say if they were properly done or not. Anyways, take that and just lotions and some nice hot baths and cold compression towels, you’ll be over this in no time .

Old 08-24-2023, 05:34 PM

547 posts, read 335,240 times
this study infers that antibiotic usage is a trigger for shingles. so if genociding gut bacteria is a cause.....improving gut health may reverse it. might consider going on gut bacteria health protocol and leaky gut repair protocol

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36301976/

Prior antibiotics and risk of subsequent Herpes zoster: A population-based case control study

Results: The study found an association of antibiotic prescription and subsequent risk of varicella zoster virus infection (adjusted odds ratio of 1.50; 95%CIs: 1.42-1.58). The strongest association was with a first antibiotic over 10 years ago (aOR: 1.92; 95%CIs: 1.88-1.96) which was particularly pronounced in the younger age group of 18 to 50 (aOR 2.77; 95%CIs: 1.95-3.92).

Conclusions: By finding an association between prior antibiotics and Herpes zoster this study has shown that antibiotics may be involved in the reactivation of the varicella zoster virus. That effect, moreover, may be relatively long term. This indirect effect of antibiotics on viruses, possibly mediated through their effect on the microbiome and immune system, merits further study.

more at link...

Old 08-24-2023, 05:34 PM

37,147 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Ask your doc for some gabapentin. Worked for DH when he had it on his face and head.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:40 PM

547 posts, read 335,240 times
another one pointing at bad gut bacteria

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34414937/

The incidence rate of herpes zoster in inflammatory bowel disease: A meta-analysis of cohort studies

Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis were associated with an increased risk of developing herpes zoster (IRR = 1.67, 95% CI = 1.40-1.98 for Crohn disease and IRR = 1.49, 95% CI = 1.34-1.65 for ulcerative colitis, respectively).Patients with inflammatory bowel disease are at increased risk of developing herpes zoster.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:32 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,554,563 times
Had Shingles at 39. Now 73yo. Hurt like hell. Right waist & down thigh. Duration, about ~30 days from first pain. ~25 days from first blister. Almost fell off the tractor on first attack.
20+ years of post phantom pain.
the danger of getting Shingles on your face can be very grave.
I've had both types of vaccines since my attack. Immediately got the vaccines at first eligibility and availability. Paid out-of-pocket for the older type. I forgot how much for the Shingrix Vax, ~$100/shot with Medicare D. Both types gave reaction that put me to bed for 1-2 days and much worse than Covid Vax.

Only remedy that worked for me was constant pressure (pressure bandage).
Vicodon or opiates was offered and declined. Opiates make me extremely nauseous to where I can not function or even get to the toilet.

Personally know of people who were put into medically induced coma. They did not get vaccinated.

Shringrix is not a 100% assured product but much more effective than the previous vaccine.
GL.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-24-2023 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-24-2023, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I may have milder symptoms than a lot of people but it’s still not exactly pleasant. I can’t imagine living with this for a month or two so hopefully it resolves soon.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:45 PM

1,948 posts, read 706,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I may have milder symptoms than a lot of people but it’s still not exactly pleasant. I can’t imagine living with this for a month or two so hopefully it resolves soon.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I had the Chicken Pox at age 4. I got the Shingrix vaccine in Feb. and April of this year. In late June, I
started to notice an itchy rash near my left armpit and thought it was the Shingles! I went to Urgent
Care and the doctor said she was 80% sure it was Shingles but said it was too late to give me anything
to treat it. A week later, I noticed another rash near my right armpit. Turns out - it was a soap allergy!
(One of those gritty, heavily scented soaps from a souvenir shop). Shingles only affects one side.

Sorry to digress but again, hope you heal quickly without lasting issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness