Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 04:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing the same general doctor for many years. I mostly need a prescription for Ambien every 10 weeks or so.

The doctor is rather far away so I tried another doctor near me. When I went there, they said I would have to get my medical history from the old doctor, or the new doctor wouldn't be able to write me the prescription. I have no insurance at all and they said this had something to do with the fact that I would need the history.

(I'm trying to get med insurance now which is in another thread.)

Is this what often happens when you switch general doctors if you don't have insurance?

I have this fear that my regular doctor will die or retire and I won't be able to get my Ambien and I'll go insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 04:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've been seeing the same general doctor for many years. I mostly need a prescription for Ambien every 10 weeks or so.

The doctor is rather far away so I tried another doctor near me. When I went there, they said I would have to get my medical history from the old doctor, or the new doctor wouldn't be able to write me the prescription. I have no insurance at all and they said this had something to do with the fact that I would need the history.

(I'm trying to get med insurance now which is in another thread.)

Is this what often happens when you switch general doctors if you don't have insurance?

I have this fear that my regular doctor will die or retire and I won't be able to get my Ambien and I'll go insane.
You want a new prescription for a Class IV federally controlled substance. Do you know what that means? Look it up.

Yes, they will want your medical history from your previous prescriber. Look at it this way. They will want to know why and how you take this med. For all they know your previous doc wasn't prescribing it appropriately. The new doc doesn't know you. You might be abusing or selling it. They can be held accountable for improperly prescribing it. People who want to use controlled substances improperly may deliberately not use health insurance to hide that fact. A brand new patient who doesn't have health insurance but who wants a script for a controlled substance probably raises some red flags.

I have had health insurance for most of my working life but not all of it. I've moved a lot and changed doctors a lot. Yes, the new docs have always asked for my medical history. It's to protect BOTH of us. No problem requesting it from an old doc. I'm sure if you decide you don't want to drive back to your old doc anymore, they'll probably be happy to provide your medical history to a closer one.

Unless you're hoping to hide something...

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-16-2023 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 06:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,084 times
we just switched.
our old doc retired.

yes, we are "starting from scratch".
i had bloodwork done last week.
my wife has her first physical this week.
we did this even though our history
was send to the new practice.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:32 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
My experience when changing a doctor (going to a different practice) is that the new one will want your records. It's not really insurance dependent.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:55 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I hardly ever get asked for old records, except when surgery is involved. And I've gone to...hmmm, 5 practices in the last 10 years, for a total of 9 PCPs.

But my only regular prescription is thyroid meds, which aren't exactly restricted.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:36 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Yeah no issues if not on restricted meds

Old 10-17-2023, 10:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Its generally considered a good practice when switching doctors to bring your current Rx bottle with you with the appropriate number of pills still in it so they don't have to take your word for anything.

Where I live about half the doctors require their patients to submit to a urine drug test before they will Rx anything other than benign things like antibiotics.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's not the doctor changing, it's the medical facility/practice. In my case, for example, I have a total of 5 doctors that I see on a regular basis, and all of them are with Swedish/Providence. When I changed my regular physician, there was no problem because all of my data was still in the system. Now if I were to change to Kaiser Permanente or Virginia Mason, they would require records.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:47 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I'm trying to figure out why this would be an issue, especially if a person has chronic ailments (heart disease, diabetes) or past illnesses (cancer, for one). Wouldn't you want your new doctor to be up to speed on your medical profile?

Yes, taking a list of your meds to a new doctor will give clues but no details (like if you have stents) so you'll still have to say that. Then there will be the questions of "Why" and "When".

Old 10-22-2023, 03:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
First of all, no reputable doctor would never prescribe sleeping meds or any narcotic meds without history (from last MD) and examination. People Dr shop for drugs don't ya know?

2nd, and most important, you want (and need) any new doc to be fully aware of your history.

3rd, if you find a doc who is willing to prescribe with no history and exam, or is a telephone doc, he/she is a quack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness