Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 06:33 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
After starting a new combination of high blood pressure meds (HCTZ, Ramipril, Amlodipine), I developed the worst insomnia of my life.

I'd go to bed and lie sleepless and fully alert until 3-4 AM. Then I'd sleep for 3-5 hours of unrestorative sleep. It was as though my "go-to-sleep button" was broken.

Honestly, I was starting to feel like a zombie.

So I started taking melatonin a couple of hours before bed time. Voila! Normal sleep just about every night. Falling asleep about 10-15 minutes after lights out. 7-9 hours of good sleep, What a relief..

I'm taking two capsules of melatonin--one a timed release and one a regular release.

I'm not recommending my particular dosage as each body is different. Experimenting or speaking with your doctor is recommended.

Some medications can interfere with melatonin production--as can aging, jet-lag and other factors.

Thought I'd pass this along in case it helps others...
It works for me. I think it works for everyone (our bodies make the stuff to help us sleep), but different people feel different in the morning. Some feel really groggy or different from usual in some other way. So watch out for that, but I recommend that people with sleeping issues give it a try and weigh the benefits against the costs according to how your body reacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 12:21 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The article actually states that it can help LOWER BP!

Yeah???

Old 11-05-2023, 05:02 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,193,904 times
I've been using melatonin since the late 1990s. Back then, almost nobody had ever heard of it, and the only place I could find it was GNC nutrition.

For years, I used it only infrequently, and only 1 mg (a very low dose). Starting about 3 years ago, however, I started taking it more frequently, thanks to insomnia caused by peri menopause, about 5 nights per week, and found I had to increase to 5 mg for it to work.

That's where I am now. I think it is a much better alternative to using other popular OTC options like NyQuil, Benadryl etc. Those really should not be used long term at all. Lots of potential side effects, particularly in older people.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:26 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
It seems melatonin can raise BP in certain individuals--and lower BP in others. Seems to depend on a person's particular levels of melatonin:

The relationship between melatonin and blood pressure

Circadian variation of blood pressure and catecholamine levels were shown in several studies. Serum melatonin levels were found low in patients with hypertension [7]. The administration of exogenous melatonin decreases blood pressure both in hypertensive and normotensive patients [8,9]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7914336/

Old 11-05-2023, 08:02 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
My experience with melatonin (all sleep aids, actually, including thc/cbd gummies) has been hit or miss. My gummies are from a reputable pharmacy that deals only with that.

Melatonin typically either doesn’t do anything (I’ve tried various mgs) or it gives me awful, vivid nightmares.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:25 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
My experience with melatonin (all sleep aids, actually, including thc/cbd gummies) has been hit or miss. My gummies are from a reputable pharmacy that deals only with that.

Melatonin typically either doesn’t do anything (I’ve tried various mgs) or it gives me awful, vivid nightmares.
Sounds like a complete miss for melatonin!

Bizarre dreams seem common with its use. I've also experienced this.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:35 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Well, darn. I'd like to have some weird dreams, too, but all I get are mundane, run-of-the-mill dreams with melatonin.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:50 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,503,461 times
When I wake early (like 3am) and can't get back to sleep I sometimes take a 10mg melatonin and it does not work. Is this too low of a dose?

Old 11-05-2023, 10:12 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
When I wake early (like 3am) and can't get back to sleep I sometimes take a 10mg melatonin and it does not work. Is this too low of a dose?
10 mg is a high dose. I think melatonin takes an hour or so to kick in if it’s going to work, so taking it at 3am won’t do much good unless you are then able to sleep late.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:59 AM

10,051 posts, read 18,090,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It works for me. I think it works for everyone (our bodies make the stuff to help us sleep), but different people feel different in the morning. Some feel really groggy or different from usual in some other way. So watch out for that, but I recommend that people with sleeping issues give it a try and weigh the benefits against the costs according to how your body reacts.

Nope, melatonin definitely DOES NOT work for everyone. I try it again every few years thinking that MAYBE it will work this time -- but it literally NEVER does (upping the dosage does nothing -- again, I've tried!).

I have friends and family members who swear by it, so I know it works for them. But alas, I'm one of those odd people for whom it does NOTHING (except give me a headache the next morning).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness