Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 10:29 AM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Migraine headaches are not normally mild. They're normally debilitating. They start as a dull throb, and become a mind-numbing sharp crack in your skull, expanding down your neck, between your shoulder blades, around your head to your eyes, giving you palpitations, causing nausea and sometimes temporary blindness, sensitivity to light and sound, and can last anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days.

Well...many of us have what are often referred to as "mini-migraines" where we experience the aura and then get very mild headaches. I've actually talked to as many people who experience this than who experience full-blown migraines. My after-headaches are so minor that I don't even take Tylenol, and usually forget the headache is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 02:09 PM

1,096 posts, read 585,819 times
Just to clear one thing up, I am generally not a fan of "Googling my symptoms" to diagnose myself, as one poster mentioned upthread, as I know the hazards of that sort of "research." What I did this week was simply read a couple of websites about migraines after my doctor mentioned it as a possibility. In doing so, I saw that a few of the common symptoms listed matched my recent experiences.

Common symptoms, as mentioned by some of you here, include discomfort on one side of the head only and increased sensitivity to light, both of which I'm experiencing. Also, the symptoms are said to typically subside when sleeping, which mine do. On Thursday, I felt absolutely fine all day until the eye doctor shined bright lights in my eye, and the symptoms came right back.

It's entirely possible this has nothing to do with my new glasses and just happened to start around the same time. I have no way of knowing. I do plan to get another professional opinion fairly soon.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:52 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
Several of my female friends and I all had monthly migraines. Now that we have no hormones, we don’t have migraines either. Not sure if migraines are hormone related in males.

Old 11-04-2023, 03:19 PM

23,382 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Several of my female friends and I all had monthly migraines. Now that we have no hormones, we don’t have migraines either. Not sure if migraines are hormone related in males.
Well, hormones in men also fluctuate during their lives but obviously not to the degree they do in women. Seem to have read somewhere that testosterone/estrogen fluctuation does contribute to migraines in men.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-04-2023 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 09:28 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Those are the same symptoms I’ve suffered from since the onset of puberty, initially debilitating to the point of having to remain in bed for days. Over the years they’ve decreased from monthly to occasionally now with milder symptoms. Medication does help along with rest in a dark environment. Mine seemed to be triggered by stress or bright lights. It doesn’t sound like what michael917 is experiencing is a migraine.
I'm not a doctor, but I'd imagine that a headache caused by eye strain from a new prescription is in the tension headache category.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:42 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,929,030 times
My wife used to get about two migraines a month. They were totally debilitating. The pain was so bad it usually led to vomiting, which led to dehydration, which led to worsening of the migraine. Several times I had to take her to the ER for fluids and medicine. She had all the tests. A cat scan, later an MRI. Blood work. One time she got a spinal tap.

Long story short, she went on a carnivore diet and hasn't had a migraine since.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:32 PM

16,908 posts, read 16,155,732 times
There are also ocular migraines which also can have severe aura and do not necessarily
include the headache.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:49 PM

5,684 posts, read 3,185,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Has anybody here experienced migraines? That is a working theory of what I'm currently dealing with. Two months ago, I got new glasses with special lenses and I had a hard time adjusting to them. Some days the constant adjusting of my eyes was leading to headaches.

I had a lengthy visit with my eye doctor yesterday, during which we determined that the prescription I'd been given was slightly off. He also suggested migraines as a possible explanation for my recent symptoms. Based on basic internet research, it seems like a credible suggestion, but I'm a chronic worrier so who knows?

I have switched back to my old glasses until my prescription can be modified, but my symptoms persist, at least today they do. Very mild, but still there.

Can anybody else who has dealt with migraines share your experience so I can compare?
Well...in my experience, migraines aren't mild. I haven't had a migraine since I had babies, but migraines are bad. They make you want to go in a dark room, and not move, once you lay down. Sometimes, you'll have auras to go with the migraines, and you might throw up. Often, throwing up will actually make you feel better.

One time, I woke up, and I couldn't see out of one eye. I went to the doctor, and he asked if I ever got migraines. I answered yes, and he suggested what I was experiencing was a kind of migraine event, minus any pain. (It was many years ago...there are details I'm not remembering, I'm sure.)

Old 11-08-2023, 07:53 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,223,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Same with me, although I’ll still get an occasional migraine maybe once every 3, 4 months or so. I find that if I get a mild headache and I can’t wipe it out with a couple of Tylenol then about half of the time it will progress to a migraine.

When I was younger, and having migraines about 3, 4 times a month, being under the care of a neurologist was a godsend. He tried different meds, and I went to him regularly to see what worked.

Good luck. migraines are no fun.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:15 PM

5,010 posts, read 596,785 times
Not migraines, just a real bad headache that lasted three months...I was referred to a neurologist who prescribed a med that worked great.

Quote:
Propranolol is one of the most common and effective medications for preventing migraines – although it only reduces how often you get them, not their duration or severity. Because it is a preventive treatment, it needs to be taken regularly for an effect, and it may take up to 12 weeks before an effect is seen. The usual starting dose is 40 mg/day, but this can be increased to 320mg daily.
https://www.drugs.com/propranolol.html

Last edited by allthatglitters; 11-10-2023 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness