Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:54 AM

136 posts, read 161,687 times

Advertisements

First off, I am a health 41 year old women. I eat healthy, exercise, run 5ks, not overweight, normal blood pressure and oxygen. Had a complete blood panel done 2 months ago: normal iron, hemoglobin, cholesterol, kidney and liver function, vitamins/minerals, thyroid, etc.

Recently, I took the Cellular Micronutrient Assay test. This test showed a deficiency in L Lysine and severe deficiency in Taurine. I find these results conflicting as I have none of the symptoms of either deficiency.

Taurine deficiency causes: high blood pressure, high resting heart rate, obesity, and hypothyroid and kidney problems. My thyroid and kidney levels were very good on my complete blood panel just done 2 months ago. My blood pressure is actually on the low side - 100/70 or so. And my resting heart rate is 60 so def not high. I am 5'1 105 lbs so def nowhere near overweight.

Lysine deficiency causes: hair loss, high blood pressure, nausea, and anemia. My hemoglobin level was on the high side, no anema, high iron level, no nausea, thick lushess hair, and low blood pressure.

The problem is I am a health fanatic. After this test, I think if I don't take these supplements I will get health problems. Problem is both these supplements have side effects of lowering your blood pressure! I do not want to lower my blood pressure further. And if high blood pressure is a symptom of both why am I even taking the supplement in the first place!

Most minerals and vitamins were fine besides minor lower levels of Vit A, zinc, magnesium, and iodine. I eat a ton of iodized salt, tons of carrots and potatoes and cheese, and magnesium and zinc were actually above normal on my complete blood panel.

I need advice as my doctor doesn't believe in micronutrient tests and said that my blood panel was almost perfect. Does anyone believe this test to be oversensitive? Are they possible estimating ideal amino acids levels on a 300 pound man when I am a little petite 5 foot women? So confused here.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 08:23 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,336,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Thanks for any advice!

Stop being a fanatic. You're healthy and active. You've attained the goal. Enjoy it.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:06 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,086,524 times
Quote:
First off, I am a health 41 year old women. I eat healthy, exercise, run 5ks, not overweight, normal blood pressure and oxygen. Had a complete blood panel done 2 months ago: normal iron, hemoglobin, cholesterol, kidney and liver function, vitamins/minerals, thyroid, etc.

Recently, I took the Cellular Micronutrient Assay test. This test showed a deficiency in L Lysine and severe deficiency in Taurine. I find these results conflicting as I have none of the symptoms of either deficiency.

Taurine deficiency causes: high blood pressure, high resting heart rate, obesity, and hypothyroid and kidney problems. My thyroid and kidney levels were very good on my complete blood panel just done 2 months ago. My blood pressure is actually on the low side - 100/70 or so. And my resting heart rate is 60 so def not high. I am 5'1 105 lbs so def nowhere near overweight.

Lysine deficiency causes: hair loss, high blood pressure, nausea, and anemia. My hemoglobin level was on the high side, no anema, high iron level, no nausea, thick lushess hair, and low blood pressure.

The problem is I am a health fanatic. After this test, I think if I don't take these supplements I will get health problems. Problem is both these supplements have side effects of lowering your blood pressure! I do not want to lower my blood pressure further. And if high blood pressure is a symptom of both why am I even taking the supplement in the first place!

Most minerals and vitamins were fine besides minor lower levels of Vit A, zinc, magnesium, and iodine. I eat a ton of iodized salt, tons of carrots and potatoes and cheese, and magnesium and zinc were actually above normal on my complete blood panel.

I need advice as my doctor doesn't believe in micronutrient tests and said that my blood panel was almost perfect. Does anyone believe this test to be oversensitive? Are they possible estimating ideal amino acids levels on a 300 pound man when I am a little petite 5 foot women? So confused here.

Thanks for any advice!
To me, you come across as someone with anxiety. Worrying that you'll develop problems if you don't take supplements instead of revising your diet is not normal. Posting this in multiple threads might also indicate anxiety. Note that either l-lysine or taurine deficiences can result in anxiety or make it worse. Review your diet. Is your intake of lysine and taurine foods too low? If so, you can simply improve your diet. Also note that if your intake of arginine foods is too high, it can deplete lysine in your body. Nutrient balance is key for effective absorption.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 02-29-2024 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 09:46 AM

3,485 posts, read 2,477,446 times
You've shrunken two inches in height, and your already low-weight self lost more weight in the past three years, plus you've been through a few moves to different states in the past few years.

You might want to try settling down for a few years, learn how to manage your stress, or eliminate it entirely. Stop taking tests that your doctor doesn't recommend.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 876,819 times
Quote:
I need advice as my doctor doesn't believe in micronutrient tests and said that my blood panel was almost perfect. Does anyone believe this test to be oversensitive? Are they possible estimating ideal amino acids levels on a 300 pound man

Thanks for any advice!
It reminds me of the story of Elizabeth Holmes of doing hundreds of tests on a drop of blood. One can do it if one doesn't care about the quality of the results and just comes up with a number. The primary defect in theory is the source of the blood being obtained was capillary blood and it's contamination with surrounding tissue. There is no workaround that.

When dealing with small quantities of anything including "micronutrients", one has to be careful of many things and in the case of laboratory reporting such things they are being disregarded for the sake of simply reporting and letting other do the interpretation. The ground work is not there.

"It's also important to note that our body cannot store excess protein. Excess protein intake results in nitrogen excretion; the remaining components are used for energy or converted to fat for later use."

One is analyzing blood after a meal and testing what the meal amino acid content was rather than any baseline blood level of amino acid content. If one does testing during fasting there is a normal shift of amino acid content in order to maintain energy needs. It's the dynamic nature of the blood that makes interpretation difficult.

Any clinical test has a goal of trying to separate a normal population from a disease population. The more diseased the population is the better one can make that separation. Ideally one defines a case study of what constitutes disease and who has that disease ie deficiency by looking at the blood levels to set that as the clinical cutoff for what constitutes disease. One assumes that there is a progression of a nutritional deficiency from early slight to moderate and then severe deficiency that ends up in disease. If you set the definition blood level at high blood levels early on in the defiency then you will entail or include normal people without deficiency as there is overlap or lack of separation. If on sets the values too low where there is gross deficient and disease then one did not catch the condition early.

Medical doctors and conventional medicine look at classic nutritional disease states and test their blood to see if they are clinically deficient or not. They look at other laboratory tests like the CBC or chemistry panel to see objective confirmations. If they have no other clinical signs and symptoms or other laboratory tests to confirm such a deficiency exists then one has to take the persons word for it that they are. That is where you are at now.

You are outside the realm of conventional medical science and have to rely on others to interpret the results. It isn't evidenced-based medicine.

Most developed countries do not have such deficiencies. I did see a tragic video recently of a death of a seaman working for the Chinese industry who developed beriberi and died due to the poor diet provides months at sea not to mention the poor diet he had at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7bXyzgEKLQ

Old 02-29-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
To me, you come across as someone with anxiety. Worrying that you'll develop problems if you don't take supplements instead of revising your diet is not normal. Posting this in multiple threads might also indicate anxiety. Note that either l-lysine or taurine deficiences can result in anxiety or make it worse. Review your diet. Is your intake of lysine and taurine foods too low? If so, you can simply improve your diet. Also note that if your intake of arginine foods is too high, it can deplete lysine in your body. Nutrient balance is key for effective absorption.
I do have anxiety which started after getting Covid in October. I have a high intake of lysine foods, moderate arginine, and low taurine.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You've shrunken two inches in height, and your already low-weight self lost more weight in the past three years, plus you've been through a few moves to different states in the past few years.

You might want to try settling down for a few years, learn how to manage your stress, or eliminate it entirely. Stop taking tests that your doctor doesn't recommend.
Unfortunately, we have had to move do to job concerns. Fortunately, that part of our life is over. Lol I am not sure what my actual height is - somewhere around 5'1-5'3. My weight varies between 100-110. The doctors in Florida are complete idiots - I will be moving out of the south for good as soon as possible. Back to the Midwest where everyone is normal thankfully.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Stop being a fanatic. You're healthy and active. You've attained the goal. Enjoy it.
Thanks. I'll stop listening to the bro-science and just go back to eating healthy and exercising.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,304,423 times
Quote:

Thanks for any advice!

What did your doctor say after reviewing the results with you?

Did he suggest Xanax?

Old 02-29-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
What did your doctor say after reviewing the results with you?

Did he suggest Xanax?
No, I already tried to get anti anxiety medicine, however, the doctor would not prescribe it. It is not easy to be put on antidepressants or anxiety medicine. My doctor said it was "good" to be obsessed with my health. She said that all I need is to go out and have more fun - that is the prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness