Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,770,366 times

Advertisements

I found an internist's name off of my health insurance company's list, and when I google the doctors name to find our more information, references to Desi Doctor came up. What does that mean?

TIA :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,355,892 times
Desi refers to a person's heritage (in most cases it's Indian-as in India).

The word is Sanskrit.

I have two "desi" docs and they are both exceptional. : )

BTW, it is not an insult to call a person a "desi." It simply means "of the homeland."

Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,770,366 times
Thank you for your quick reply, that makes sense as this internist is of Indian heritage, I wasn't sure if it was a medical term!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Thank you, ketabcha, for telling us that it's not a derogatory term. But is it OK for Anglos to use as well? Some terms are OK when used by the people to each other but not when used by outsiders.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,355,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Thank you, ketabcha, for telling us that it's not a derogatory term. But is it OK for Anglos to use as well? Some terms are OK when used by the people to each other but not when used by outsiders.
It's more of an "in-house" term used by folks from south Asia. I have never referred to anyone as a "desi" but desi's refer to themselves using that word. To be safe, it is probably best not to use it.

We never know what someone will find to be personally offensive. For instance, the origin of a slur for Italians came from a very innocent process. A ship in the 1930s was in route to the US from Italy. A storm at sea nearly destroyed the ship and all the paperwork was lost. The survivors, as they entered Ellis Island, had no papers to prove where they were from. So, rather than shipping them back the government came up with a designation for them. "Without Papers" = WOP. That word has turned into something very rude but it came from a humble and valid beginning that was in no way meant to be a slur.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,848,910 times
Why would an insurance company be concerned with the ethnicity or national origin of a doctor?

The only thing that should matter is that he be properly licensed and approved to practice his specialty.

Anything else sounds like some sort of discrimination and is probably illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness