Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 02:33 PM

44 posts, read 189,680 times

Advertisements

]We have a powder room just inside the front door to the house, just off the living room. I am looking for some ideas on how to paint & decorate it. It is long and narrow and 8 foot ceilings. The wife and I don't want anything too formal or too dark. House is brand new, so all plumbing / electrical is there to stay. I only want to add paint and decorations.

Right now, the walls are painted SW Kilim Beige, ceiling, trim & baseboard are white. The doors are two panel painted white. The pedestal sink and toilet are white. Brushed nickel faucet, light fixture, TP holder & hand towel ring. Light is above the sink on the wall. The pic doesn't show it, but there is a mirror above the sink. There is tile on the floor. No windows, just a door.

Any suggestions on colors/shades you would paint & add personal touches?

Here are some pictures:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
What color are you using in the living room?

I would go with a darker shade in the same color family.

Take a color from that floor maybe.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I think you answered your own question:

"The wife and I don't want anything too formal or too dark. House is brand new, so all plumbing / electrical is there to stay. I only want to add paint and decorations."

Throw some art on the wall and call it a day- After you're settled in, it maybe fine- or you'll have an idea of what you want.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM

44 posts, read 189,680 times
We moved in back in Nov 2009. The whole house has SW Kilim Beige walls and White ceiling, trim & baseboard, doors.

I want to paint it so that it is different from the rest of the house. The LR will probably stay beige, but I want to put color on the walls in other places.

I guess our reserve is in the small size and it being long and narrow. I just don't really have experiance on what would look good vs bad is that type of space.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
We have the exact same powder room layout- except for a window opposite the door. We contemplated the size also- how to visually expand the space?
We used a striped wallpaper- it definitely made the walls "taller" but also elongated the space. We used an accent color from the kitchen (pwdr is off kit) as the "stripe" and the background (or other stripe) was a close match to the kitchen wall color.
Also of note- I reversed the door. It was a major PITA with the inward swing! Walk in, step back, close door, then in reverse to get out!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM

414 posts, read 911,121 times
How about a shade or two darker than the kilim and a series of three coordinating square pictures on the wall opposite the door? Something with a nice dark frame...and a larger rectangular picture over the toilet with the same frame? You can get some nice stuff from Art.com or Allposters.com.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
Powder rooms tend to look better with a richer color because a light color requires natural light to be fully effective.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
How about pulling the mushroom color from the tiles?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
When I look at your powder room, I definitely imagine a color, not beige.

1. Paint. Could try something in the red or red/purple family? Because your room is small, you can "get away" with using a color that's bold and expressive. There are many reds available, shades, etc.

K'ledgeBldr is onto something regarding stripes. In your case, you can also use stripes horizontally so the room appears wider versus taller. Also, there is a paint technique where you use the same color of paint (flat finish) as the base, and then paint wide stripes with the same color (satin finish). It is a subtle but elegant look.

2. Molding. get some nice baseboard molding. Paint it bright white as well as the door (although I am not sure what the rest of your doors look like). The bright white against the paint wall color will make things pop nicely.

3. Lose the mirror. Find something with (1) a similar oval shape like your sink and toilet and with a decorative frame.

4. Accessorize with paintings, prints, hand towels, soaps, etc. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating