Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times

Advertisements

I received a comforter set as wedding gift 2 years ago. I liked the color combination and went on to using it as decoration inspiration for my bedroom. When summer came, I put the comforter away in its original bag. Next winter when I took it out, the stuff inside the comforter was all crumbled up. I have never seen that before. From Google search, I learned it is common & I have to shake it to loosen it up. I tried my best few times but I was unsuccessful.

For last few months, I have been toying with the idea converting this shapeless comforter into duvet cover via opening up the comforter, remove stuffing from it. Then I can use it in summer as is & in winter I can put a new plain white comforter inside. I can use the stuffing to maybe make pillow :S

I don't know, I have never done this type of project hence I have been thinking about it for past 4 months instead of doing it. Is it possible? have any of you done that? Is it worth it? What are some problems I need to pay attention to if I were to take this task on?

Here is a pic of a similar comforter set, mine is not same but its similar in color.. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/110127153358948541/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM

22,577 posts, read 47,641,955 times
What is the construction?
Baffles, channels, box stitch... it may be near to impossible to undo all the stitching without damaging the fabric.

Have you tumbled it in a dryer? That works for my comforter.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Agree w/Pitt Chick - if it's a comforter that is ONLY stitched on the outer edges, then just "empty" it. If the stuffing is "crumbled" why would you want to reuse it at all? It doesn't help to show something w/the color you like, it's a matter of how it's sewn.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Is it a down comforter? If it is, throw it in dryer on extra low with a new tennis ball.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:45 AM

I did not try dryer. I tried shaking it by hand & stretching it/massaging it. I will try drying it, why new tennis ball?

I did not see whole lot of stitching in it but I will take closer look at it. It looks very similar to the one I posted from the same company. But I will open it up this weekend and see

Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 PM

26 posts, read 31,515 times
Well I haven't tried but is this exactly happens?

Old 10-05-2016, 03:44 PM

I know this is old post but wanted to write update. Past weekend, I finally took out my comforter & examined it. notice there is no stich in middle, so I ripped off the edge. It was clear which edge to go for, as 3 sides had pipe and one was empty. Took out the soft/warm material. There was hole all over it, that is what made it all crumbled.

now I have perfect duvet cover (I do have to saw the edge and maybe add buttons or zipper to close it up). I don't have a new duvet yet, weather is not cold. I tried putting a sheet inside to get some warmth & use out of it during fall. but the sheet is too small & it moves all over the place. Hassle to make bed, so I abandoned that idea. How do people hold stuff in place? I am hoping when I get duvet, it will stay inside & not move around. I will pay attention to the size. At least I got first part done. I put it away for now.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM

22,577 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
How do people hold stuff in place?
Usually ties and rings... sometimes velcro.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Sew a button inside the duvet cover in each corner and a loop on to the comforter.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
The easiest way to hold it in place would be to put a plain white comforter inside, stitch the open edge shut, and then sew through all the thicknesses in 10 or 12 places.

The comforter wouldn't be removable at that point, but the inside seams on your comforter are probably not that well made and won't stand up well to having things put in and taken out and moving around inside of it, like a duvet cover would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating