Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 02:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True - and here are a few more chair styles that seem pretty timeless to me:

Chippendale chair styles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chip...hairs&tbm=shop

Sheraton chair styles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sher...w=1366&bih=638

Windsor chair styles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...w=1366&bih=638
The Windsor for sure. The Windsor is reproduced, and adapted continually. I love Sheraton anything and if I had rooms full of fine Sheraton reproductions, I would count myself lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:06 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure that wallpaper on the walls of hotels is an argument for anything except for them needing a durable surface that doesn't have to be painted frequently.

Wallpaper was huge in the 1970s and popular for a long time after. It seemed to have fallen into disfavor for a few years sometime in the late 1990s? (I am hazy on this.) At any rate, I fell in love with interiors that Martha Stewart was showing in her mags, and I abandoned any idea of wall papering, and I still feel that way. We've put up so much wallpaper, and we've taken so much wall paper down. I don't ever, ever want to do this again, ever.

I think this is a personal choice. I do not think that wallpaper is "timeless" but you know, if you do, its OK with me. I am permanently over it though.
My complaint with wallpaper is that it feels so permanent. Changing it seems like such a hassle. I've never had it in my home. My experience is through others. Everytime I see it done well, I've never thought it looked dated. I think it's timeless and we can have differing opinions. If I ever did it, it would be either in a powder room, an accent wall in a bedroom, or in a backsplash of a built in book/display shelf.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,126,955 times
Taking down wallpaper, if it is hung properly, is a breeze. You should be able to spritz a little water, pull gently on a corner, and the whole strip should come off. True, the wall had to have been pre-treated with a special solution before the paper was applied. But today eveyone should know that this is required.

Meanwhile, the reason not to chose wallpaper is usually that it will cost about 10 times as much as paint and is annoying to hang if the walls are not perfectly square. But even today, a single papered accent wall may be exactly what a room needs to pull everything all together.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 PM

52 posts, read 39,912 times
Timeless means no fads/trends that peter out in a decade and get "dated" (even if they sometimes make a comeback later)

So, for example I would consider a bohemian/ hippy theme in a bedroom eg as timeless as much as a french boudoir theme or a Biba 1960s/70s one, or english country, theyre always of interest..there are many staples

If you want to decorate and not feel you have to change it a few years later, choose one of the "timeless" - traditional furniture and items

The only danger is you will get bored of it if you dont do it to your taste and satisfaction

Decorate with what reflects you as a person ,it will last until you change, hopefully not too drastically that you cant make changes and the older you are the least likely you are to change

For example, I love learning , love books
I couldnt imagine my space being without bookcases books old and new on all sorts of subjects
Theyre one of my loves and comfort zones and my space would feel soulless to me

If youre big into cooking, splash out in the kitchen, make it your sacred den, fill it with what excites you, what warms you, what you will look at and thnk, I created this and its beautiful and its me...not a showy home for some magazine

You need to strike a balance between what you love and what is aesthetically pleasing and comfortable for you in a way that you probably wouldnt ever want to change a thing but also following some design rules to enhance the look and feel

Its not rocket science but it can take a little time and patience...who said redoing your house should take less than a year or two, if u get it perfect for YOU thats the prize

In my setting up new home ongoing project Ive realised that choosing thngs that appeal to you alot and are beautiful or practical, go more than half the distance to build your vision, even with mistakes...perfectionism is a blight in interior design

In the end its all a work of love, so ....

Sorry for the long rant, I should have just answered short to the question

Timeless....and perfect in most environments...chandelier

Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchfries22 View Post
Timeless means no fads/trends that peter out in a decade and get "dated" (even if they sometimes make a comeback later)

So, for example I would consider a bohemian/ hippy theme in a bedroom eg as timeless as much as a french boudoir theme or a Biba 1960s/70s one, or english country, theyre always of interest..there are many staples

If you want to decorate and not feel you have to change it a few years later, choose one of the "timeless" - traditional furniture and items

The only danger is you will get bored of it if you dont do it to your taste and satisfaction

Decorate with what reflects you as a person ,it will last until you change, hopefully not too drastically that you cant make changes and the older you are the least likely you are to change

For example, I love learning , love books
I couldnt imagine my space being without bookcases books old and new on all sorts of subjects
Theyre one of my loves and comfort zones and my space would feel soulless to me

If youre big into cooking, splash out in the kitchen, make it your sacred den, fill it with what excites you, what warms you, what you will look at and thnk, I created this and its beautiful and its me...not a showy home for some magazine

You need to strike a balance between what you love and what is aesthetically pleasing and comfortable for you in a way that you probably wouldnt ever want to change a thing but also following some design rules to enhance the look and feel

Its not rocket science but it can take a little time and patience...who said redoing your house should take less than a year or two, if u get it perfect for YOU thats the prize

In my setting up new home ongoing project Ive realised that choosing thngs that appeal to you alot and are beautiful or practical, go more than half the distance to build your vision, even with mistakes...perfectionism is a blight in interior design

In the end its all a work of love, so ....

Sorry for the long rant, I should have just answered short to the question

Timeless....and perfect in most environments...chandelier
You're right - I really agree with this.

I'm a former military brat, then wife. I've moved so many times I can't get an accurate count! So for me, my stuff is my house, not the four walls around it. I can make a home anywhere.

And my stuff is the accumulation of a lifetime - when I see something I love, I buy it. Some things go by the wayside, but some things stay, and I think they are timeless. For instance, I have a painted armoire from Germany, dated 1796. It's beautiful, not all that large, and it's in a dark green and deep red predominately. It has fit great into any home I've had, in various rooms, because it's simply awesome - in a timeless sort of way.

I have some awesome lamps. I've changed the lamp shades out, but the bases are timeless.

And books - books are timeless too.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 PM

52 posts, read 39,912 times
thats right katharyn, ditch the stuff you dont like, it interferes..i was a bit of a hoarder, but nothng more satisfying than making yourself hit the dustbin....thank you for your post xx

Old 09-18-2016, 08:00 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,811 times
Books and more books! Truly timeless. Even with technology, books remain a staple in decor.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Taking down wallpaper, if it is hung properly, is a breeze. You should be able to spritz a little water, pull gently on a corner, and the whole strip should come off. True, the wall had to have been pre-treated with a special solution before the paper was applied. But today eveyone should know that this is required.

Meanwhile, the reason not to chose wallpaper is usually that it will cost about 10 times as much as paint and is annoying to hang if the walls are not perfectly square. But even today, a single papered accent wall may be exactly what a room needs to pull everything all together.
I, unfortunately, have taken paper down several times that was not properly applied. I have also taken paper down that was properly applied. I believe even in the latter case, I've had a hard time getting it off the wall.

It may be that newer papers are easier to apply properly and take down.

I do admire some of the durable fabric-like papers that are applied in upscale buildings and hotels. Properly applied, they should look good longer than a painted surface. But I decided I was over wall paper about 15 years ago and I haven't changed my mind. I guess its just my style choice at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating