Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times

Advertisements

Of all the things my poor old house (money pit) needs, I would do the driveway first. It is the one thing that I use and see everyday (leaving and coming home from work). It is a daily reminder that it is a big expense that needs to be tackled.

Even though landscaping would make my house look so much nicer, a new driveway would make it look "cleaner" and like someone cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,288,194 times
The downstairs bathroom. That has been put on hold since we moved in. We are planning to have it done THIS year. $5000 should pay for what we want to do. We are going to keep the tub (which is a compromise-I would have loved to replace it) and of course we are going to keep the antique pedestal sink. What we are going to do is get rid of the ugly linoleum that I always hated and put down mosaic black & white tile with a black tile edge over a heated floor. Put up squared wainscotting, replace hardware in both sink & tub, replace the lighting fixture, and paint. I also want to put in a table with a drawer that will fit over our litter box. The thing it, that table has to be a certain size. If we can't find one that will fit in that space, we may have one made. Having a table made and our contractor's fees will be the most expensive part of this venture.

That is it.

Hopefully, this will happen SOON!

Cat

Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,723,434 times
I'd spend the money on having instant hot water units installed in the kitchen and bathroom. Love those things.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,039,076 times
I would expand our master bath and put in a much bigger tub. I am pretty sure my hubby would be more practical and have our main electrical panel replaced.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,545,964 times
I would buy a vintage Louis Vuitton trunk for my living room.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:29 AM

69 posts, read 114,552 times
I'd repair the front steps and try to do something nice looking with the large exposed section of foundation. (Back of house is in a hillside, and the front door is up a storey or more from the driveway.) I'm not sure $5k would even cover it or not, but if there were extra then I'd like another layer of asphalt on the driveway too. It needs it.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,943,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
If someone gave you $5000 and you had to use to change your home what would you build, redesign, change or purchase and why
Obviously this is not enough for a major kitchen or bath renovation, but it could replace some flooring, lighting, purchase a new piece of furniture.

For me, I would replace all my current window blinds with shades that open from both the top and bottom (more light gets in, but the cat can still sit on the ledge), add some additional storage in the garage (who doesn't need that)and additional shelving in the gym closet for box storage.
The top down bottom up shades are great! We have them in our master.

And thinking of cats, I would probably have a few new windows installed that open from the top down. I love having fresh air in the house but cannot do it because our cats will literally jump through the screens if a bird or squirrel approaches. I can only have them lifted about an inch or less now :-(

Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Hm. I am not sure how far 5K would go where I live. Lots of little things I'd want done around the place:
-Get rid of floor-to-ceiling mirrors on one wall of LR.
-Obviously then fix that wall.
-Install some trim in all the rooms.
-Install some new doors.
-Fix some of the other walls.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM

671 posts, read 1,119,580 times
I'd like to have a gas fireplace. That is enough for the equipment and some for the installation. I might be willing to do that. :P
Or have my electrical panel upgraded. boring but needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating