Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 36,289 times

Advertisements

Greetings. We are looking to replace the 35 year old aluminum siding on our two story house with either Hardie Plank (my preference) or Crane Board 7 vinyl (hubby's choice). We have bids for the installation, and the price difference is about 8K, Hardie being higher. I have read numerous forums and the manufacturer websites, and understand completely the basic differences between the Hardie and vinyl. Does anyone have experience with both Hardie and Crane? I have been unable to directly compare the two, and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to spend more for the Hardie. Please advise! Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,278,048 times
Unless you plan on staying in the house for a really long time, you won't get your $ back on the Hardie. Both still require maintenance, so I guess it boils down if you think you like 8k worth

Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,697,207 times
We replaced our old aluminum siding with HardiPlank a few years ago. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that prior to the change, we had the ugliest exterior of any house in the neighborhood. I've lost count of how many people now say that ours is the prettiest one.

It's a matter of taste of course, but IMO you cant go wrong w/ Hardiplank. It's beautiful and longlasting. I dont like crane board at all.

If you go w/ Hardiplank, my advice is to use the pre-finished version with the 15 year guarantee. Some installers try to talk you into using the unfinished stuff, which has to be painted. Obviously that's more work for them, but if you go this route, you will have to repaint much sooner.

We chose the sailcloth color and just love it.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,693,053 times
Default Very different products, climate / exposure may need to ne factored in...

Hardie board is about the single most stable exterior facing you can pit on a structure. If you have temper wires extremes to deal with, from heat to cold to moisuter it can handle them.

The vinyl product from crane is good, but not as good. It will shrink and expand with cold heat cycles. Those cycles will leave traces of dirt and will eventually, over decades, lead to small stains that cannot be washed off.

I hope you also priced wood siding, it really remains the top choice for premium buyers. With smart shopping and good deal on labor it is an excellent value. Current stain and exterior coating technology can make for extremely long loved periods of no maintnenance too...

Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM

432 posts, read 3,666,886 times
I have a house that is 75% brick and 25% hardie. The the hardie board is a great product. A good friend of mine has vinyl and it is terrible.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 PM

19,984 posts, read 22,917,129 times
Hardi-plank is a damn good product and looks and performs far superior to vinyl. If you don't give a rats butt about your home because you may sell- go with vinyl.

We have a hardi type exterior here in Montana and it is TOUGH. Our first house in West Virginia was vinyl and it looked like hell for a 10 year old house, and it would constantly pop and crack...

BUT- they ALL say vinyl has come a long way since those days 20 years ago. But why is hardi-plank always getting better reviews than the best vinyl? Because it is that much better.

Hell- I would have aluminum over vinyl any day.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM

43,519 posts, read 77,543,415 times
We have Craneboard 7 on our house.
Had it put on two and a half years ago.
Saved about $5000 over Hardie on installation and will never paint.

Craneboard 7 is a tremendous product, absolute top en vinyl and looks great.
I love the insulation bonded to the board.
I only wish it came in 16' lengths.

Whichever product you choose, I hope you are having the house wrapped with Tyvek or similar.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,258,038 times
I don't think anyone really choses between James Hardie products and vinyl as if they were seriously cross shopping the two. You can get insulated vinyl and layer it over sheet insulation ot boot (which is very desirable for older homes.) The vinyl is also cheaper and sometimes you just can't stretch a budget.

I prefer Hardie panel but on my particular home I think vinyl will make more sense. And I have to admit that vinyl has gotten a lot less unattractive in recent years. The color and profiles offer enough variance to be passable.

ETA- my neighbor has aluminum and it was a nightmare to deal with when she had to address some sheathing issues. Its also not as forgiving.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

17,506 posts, read 66,432,758 times
Aluminum, vinyl...
Cedar, fir, Hardie...

Not vinyl, Hardie. There's too much disparity. I have dealt with both and here's my summary;

Vinyl, relative ease of installation. But not airtight. Can be extremely noisy as it expands and contracts. J-channel around openings always looks like s#!t because of miter cuts that tend to roll or cup. Trim pieces for hose bibs, light fixtures, and receptacles are very cheesy looking. Walls tend to look relatively straight.

Hardie, works just like wood but, it's not as forgiving. It can break, dent, and delaminate if damaged. It's not airtight- but tighter than vinyl. If installed correctly ( no "zipper effect"- where the board ends are one stud space apart alternating)can look just like lap-board siding. All other trim is either wood or PVC. The biggest drawback is the "wave effect" because of bowed wall studs.
The biggest advantage (depending on what region of the country and ins. co.- fire protection!
Hardie doesn't burn. Vinyl is like gasoline.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 AM

102 posts, read 710,898 times
I had to make the same decision 4 years ago...vinyl versus hardie. All my neighbors have vinyl and it is really a cheap look. I went with the hardie and love it. It is beautiful and makes our house the best in the neighborhood. Unfortunately it is very expensive. HG tv claims that hardie is the best dollar return on home improvements. I am skeptical of that claim. Choose your installer carefully. Make sure they have experience installing hardie board. I would choose a preferred hardie installer. This product has its quirks and should be installed by someone knowledgeable with hardie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House