Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM

275 posts, read 773,554 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Last night, my husband left our garbage at the curb to be picked up this morning. As he was leaving for work early this morning, he realized our garbage was gone but everyone else still had their garbage. Couple of hours later the garbage truck showed up and I asked one of the workers if they picked up our garbage earlier for whatever reason. He said, no (he suggested a bear might have picked it up. I have never seen a bear take off with two big bags of garbage.) So it seems someone took our garbage. I am worried about identity theft but not sure what to do. I am trying to remember if I threw anything in the garbage last week that might be useful to a criminal. I usually just throw junk mail in the garbage, there should be no statements or other private info. I can't think of another reason why anyone would be interested in my garbage. I spoke to town people and they suggested I call the police. I don't know what the police could do though. Once you put your garbage out, it becomes public property. I am getting all paranoid now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I shred anything with ID info before I put out the garbage. It takes time but it's worth the effort. Criminals can be very clever.

We can be fined if we put the garbage out before 5:30 a.m. on pick up day. That's a good idea. It foils kleptomaniac bears.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM

59 posts, read 309,020 times
I burn anything that has my name or address on in the fire-pit.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Shred everything with your name on it and don't put your garbage out before the morning that garbage pick-up comes. Keep an eye on your credit reports for the next few months. You might consider a security camera at the front of you home incase it is being stalked for a break-in. Suggest you find a dumpster to throw away boxes for big ticket items like televisions/computers. Placing electronics boxes at the curb is like putting a sign in your front yard that says "steal me".

If one of you has an "ex" they may be stalking you and trying to figure out your finances, major purchases, or correspondence.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 AM

275 posts, read 773,554 times
Thanks everyone. All of those are good suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Shred everything with your name on it and don't put your garbage out before the morning that garbage pick-up comes. Keep an eye on your credit reports for the next few months. You might consider a security camera at the front of you home incase it is being stalked for a break-in. Suggest you find a dumpster to throw away boxes for big ticket items like televisions/computers. Placing electronics boxes at the curb is like putting a sign in your front yard that says "steal me".

If one of you has an "ex" they may be stalking you and trying to figure out your finances, major purchases, or correspondence.

I usually shred things like bank statements and bills etc...but not the junk mail/credit card offers. I will keep an eye on my credit reports. Security camera seems like a good idea - I didn't think about a potential break-in. We just moved into this neighborhood last year and it is considered a pretty low crime town but we really don't know the area that well.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
You don't happen to be in a witness protection program do you?

Always shread any kind of offers that have your name preprinted on them.

Credit Freeze. I am not kidding about this, do it with in 48 hours.

Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide | www.clarkhoward.com

Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I shred anything that comes to my house that has my name or address on it, junk mail or not. My garbage has never been stolen that I know of, but my recycling has been stolen before. I never put anything personal in with the recycling, and the shredded mail goes in with the regular trash.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Your garbare wasn't stolen. Once it's placed on the curb it belongs to whomever wants it...
If you have something to hide, don't put it in the garbage.......

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
I routinely tear my name and address off everything, even magazines and junk mail, before I put it in the garbage or recycling. Only things addressed to 'occupant' go directly into the trash.

Yes, do keep an eye on credit reports. Is your mail box locked or one of the old-style types without a lock? I hope it's the former just in case thieves were sniffing around.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Animals taking it is much more likely than one would think. If there was something in there that had a great scent to it, then there ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House