Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,602,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Is this you mistygirl all dressed up as Kim?? Trying to make amend from the previous post about contractors??? Saying your sorry would have been easier.
The problem I see that you have "Kim"... "Kimchee"..."mistygirl"...I don't know how many names you have on CD. BUT back to the topic at hand, YOU have taken advantage of soooo many contractor's in your area that THEY DON"T WANT TO BE BOTHERED WITH YOU...there is a APB about you amongst the contractors. No one wants to do ANY work for you and THAT my dear is a baaaaad position to be in if you own a home.

Every man or woman is worth his/her wages; you need to pay them for their labor without complaining In a previous post you stated you paid over $1,200 in a weekend on HSN jewelry for yourself BUT you can't pay a contractor that comes to repair YOUR house

The bottom line is that you are selfish ...there... I said it. As long as YOU get the personal benefit from something YOU want, you don't mind paying for it but to pay a person for there services, you find a way to complain about them because YOU don't want to pay them. How many contractors have you done this to if you don't mind me asking??

You have said in past post that people take advantage of you...steal from you. If this is true, don't YOU steal and take advantage of the contractor"s? Like attracts Like ....or.... it may be that you have gotten a taste of your OWN BITTER medicine to teach you a lesson about being selfish

For you to get a contractor now, you would have to go outside of your area which will cost you even MORE now. And it will look suspicious to a contractor why you had to call him/her outside of your region and they are going to do some investigating themselves by contacting fellow contractors in the area. Once the word spread about you, it will be near impossible for you to get someone to work for you and your home will FALL APART.

I'm glad I'm not selfish like you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM

373 posts, read 312,002 times
When getting an estimate, you are getting a price ... but you also are getting information about how the contractor handles things.

I would simply ask him when you can expect the estimate. If he is on time with that simple test, then you may want to proceed in checking him out further. If he can't give you an estimate when promised ... you should consider yourself lucky that you found out about this small step, before you hired him.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM

131 posts, read 410,891 times
Thank you for the replies. I guess I am writing this person off as well. It is sad, because I thought he seemed really great, but I guess I was wrong.

To eyewrist...what you wrote does not apply to me. I only have one name on CD. I have been a member here for a while, getting a feel for many different places and figuring out where to move. The site has been extremely helpful to me. I know there must be some people on this site who cause trouble or act in an improper manner, but I assure you that I am not one of them. I am just looking for some information from other people that may have been in my situation.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 PM

74 posts, read 566,468 times
I am not quite sure what the problem is with your situation. It strikes me as very odd that you have had so many contractors leave you hanging. Someone else aluded to the idea of contacting the building department for some references. That may be one of the best suggesstions you have received. The building inspectors know very well who the good contractors are. You may want to pay a personal visit to the building department for that information. Many inspectors will tell you over the phone that they are not authorized to give names of contractors. However, if you talk to the inspector in person, they are more apt to share that information. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
I work for a business which deals with contractors, I know who the good ones are in my area. What you should do is ask at the local lumber yard, at your bank, and any gathering of people like PTA meeting.
These people will know who the best contractors are.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
From an architects perspective, what you are experiencing is not unusual. Although in this market I would expect contractors to be more responsive. But when it comes to small residential remodeling jobs, the contractors typically have to work during the day and try to to the paperwork at night. Sometimes the paperwork has to be put on hold when demanding problems crop. Send him an email saying that if he does not respond by X day you will assume he is not interested and find someone else.

If City-Data has a city forum for where you live, ask there for recommendations, also YELP is a good resource. http://www.Yelp.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House