Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,038,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I wanna paint mine since I only have 1 full side of wood and 2 sides that are half wood/ half brick. so basically a total of 2 sides of wood to paint. thing is I don't wanna spend $2500 to let some guy come buy and paint it when I can save that money.

anybody here ever painted your own house and how hard was it?

any advice and tips is appreciated.
It's as easy as falling off a ladder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,775,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Can't. It is an historic house and has restrictions. (Besides I would not want that ugly stuff on my house anyway). I think it woudl cost more than $50,000.

A good paint job will probably last the rest of my life as long as I keep it touched up as necessary. The paint that is on it is at elast 50 years old and some of it is 150 years old.

If your house is flake board power washing could be a very very bad idea. In fact most painters say powerwashing any kind of wood is a very bad idea. It pushes water into the wood and raises the grain. Better to hand scrape and sand. If you cannot, then use sawdust, or possibly ice. Not water.

If you live in the desert and do it during dry season, powerwashing might be ok if you let it dry for a couple of weeks and then sand the whole thing. But if you ahve to sand the whole thiung, you are not reducing costs.

On the show American Restoreations they use a paint blaster gun that uses crushed walnut shells for seneitive work. I wonder if there is some type of machine that uses this method to strip paint off old wood houses and not damage it?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM

5,252 posts, read 6,182,542 times
If it is a standard paint job, just tackle yourself. Check you local rental place and pick up a set of scaffolding. Prime the bare spots after pressure washing with a good oil base primer, caulk it up and finish paint. Good luck

Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
If it is a standard paint job, just tackle yourself. Check you local rental place and pick up a set of scaffolding. Prime the bare spots after pressure washing with a good oil base primer, caulk it up and finish paint. Good luck
I wonder what it would cost to rent a scaffoldi8ng for three years?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,941,653 times
I hate painting and $2500 would be a bargain in my neck of the woods. That would be for two coats and trim and of course all of the prep work . . . $2500 and you could be sipping lemonaid while some poor bastard is sweating on a ladder.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,582,064 times
I painted the house my ex got to keep. That was over 15 years ago and house looks good still. Just made the rounds scraping and a steel wire brush, then painted. Took me a couple weeks, but that was because of other things going on like coldjensons mentioned. 8 hrs. work each day then time with wife and kids.
Friend of mine was told he would have to prime his so he bought the paint that had the primer mixed in. He had no trouble with it.
We lucked out with our paint. We were in Sears and somebody had a certain color mixed and didn't like it. So we bought 4 gallons of Sears paint for $2/gallon. Like I said, it still looks great!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
I painted mine around 14-15 years ago. I didn't even use scaffolding, just a long extension ladder and some long handles for my paint roller. Of course I had to move the ladder pretty often, but I figured that was about as easy as messing with scaffolding -- renting it, hauling to my home, setting it up several times, etc.

I used a cheap scraper/wire brush to remove peeling paint and only used primer on those areas -- less than a gallon of primer total. I'm guessing that I used 25 gallons of the main paint and 5 gallons for the trim. I kept the main color the same and just changed the trim color a shade.

I worked on it maybe 100 hours total. It's not a large home, but it is 2-stories on the sides and back. (The front has a steep roof line and it's only one story in front.) I did hire a neighbor kid to move a cord of wood that I had behind the garage and then paint that side of the garage.

I noticed a few years ago that it was approaching painting time again. I figured I was getting too danged old to climb that ladder again and got vinyl siding installed instead. It's guaranteed for life. I had all the doors and windows replaced at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House