Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM

399 posts, read 1,805,936 times

Advertisements

I just had my house replumbed as part of a major renovation. Arriving today, first day with the shower faucet in place, I discovered that turning on the hose outside causes the showerhead to let water out, even though the shower faucet is off. And it's not just a dribble; it lets out a lot.

I can get my plumber to fix it, I should hope, but at this point I'm left wondering: how is that even possible?

And apart from hiring a plumber who may have spent too much time around PVC cement, could this be indicative of some other serious plumbing issue?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,915,228 times
Sounds like you have a plumber's nightmare behind the walls. !! Was the guy a licensed plumber, and was it permitted and inspected..?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Sounds like you have a plumber's nightmare behind the walls. !! Was the guy a licensed plumber, and was it permitted and inspected..?
Yes, yes and yes.

What could cause something like this?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,726,862 times
I can think of only one way that can happen but am too frightened to say it in public for fear that there is someone somewhere who could do that. Not to mention the Code Official not noticing it. I never cease to find some one more stupid then the previous stupid person I run into but this has got to be the most stupid person (which I refuse to all a Plumber) on the face of the earth.

I shutter even more to know this useless waste of human flesh votes in November.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:11 AM

23,648 posts, read 70,651,729 times
Amazing. Off the top of my head...
for ANYTHING to happen at the shower head, either a pipe has to have been connected between it and the mixer valve or the mixer valve is somehow compromised. I find the first really hard to believe, so I'm left with the mixer. A balanced flow mixer changes the mix when someone flushes a toilet, but that is usually accomplished by reducing the hot water flow, not increasing the cold. Could the entire valve been installed backwards? I wouldn't have thought anyone would be so brain-dead, and I have no idea how the functions would be messed up, but that is the first possibility I can think of.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks Harry.

I know there's nothing connected between the mixer and the showerhead so I guess the mixer valve must be screwed up. I didn't realize they compensated for changes in water pressure, but that makes a lot of sense. I assume there's some type of threshold adjustment inside them?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,837,364 times
If the shower handles are original to the home, then the washer or cartridge behind the handle needs to be replaced as it has failed. Usually a simple half hour repair. Turning on an outside cold water spigot is causing a pressure change in the line.

Question: If someone takes a shower at the same time as the outside spigot is turned on does that person notice a significant change in water temperature? If not then its not a mixer problem and thus a cutoff problem.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks Neil.

The shower fixtures and mixing valves are all new, so I'm assuming the mixing valve is fine. I can't answer your second question because I haven't used the shower yet... moving in today, actually.

Do the mixing valves generally have adjustment screws or some way to dial up or down the pressure thresholds?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,837,364 times
Find us the manufacturer and model number. From there we can pull up the pdf for it to answer your question further. If its new than the cartridge assembly is most likely defective or not installed correctly.

Two handle or single handle?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM

Single lever.

I'll get the model number in a couple of hours when I head over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House