Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 PM

34 posts, read 149,877 times

Advertisements

My house has a very poorly designed small stall shower. When you turn the water on, the shower head sprays out the door of the stall shower, soaking the person turning on the shower with cold water and soaking the floor. No matter how far we turn the shower head in either direction, the person turning on the water gets the brunt of the blast of cold water. I've tried sticking as little of my arm as possible in the shower to turn on the valve, but I still get blasted with cold water.

We have gotten around this by standing in the corner of the shower, closing the door, aiming the shower head as far away from me as it will go, turning on the water and waiting in the corner for the water to get warm enough to move the shower spray back to the middle. But the problem is our poor little toes get hit with icey cold water until it warms up in about a minute or so.

As we approach winter, cold water hitting the toes is becoming more and more unpleasant, and I have been skipping showers here and there to avoid this...

Do I have any options here other than a complete shower remodel? We do plan to remodel in the future, but cannot afford it at this time. I'm hoping to find a solution that will work for us for the next year or so. Are the shower heads available that can be turned all the way to the side? Do they make those kind of shower heads? I'm thinking that would be the easiest route to take. I'm open to suggestions though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,704 times
We have a shower head that has 2 sprayers, and you can run both, or one, or the other. One is 'fixed' and the other you can remove on a decent length 'cord'.
You could get one of this and either run the removable head and hold it so you're not getting sprayed, or let it hang (altough who knows which way it will spray while it's hanging).

This is what we have in our two showers:
Walmart.com: Peerless 3-Setting Shower Combo, Chrome: Plumbing & Fixtures

Pretty nice.
Your water pressure would affect what shower heads work best though.
You could get a single shower head that's 'removable'.

Or one that's VERY maneuverable, Like this:
Walmart.com: Peerless Downpour Plus Shower Head, Chrome: Plumbing & Fixtures
(never used this one, but an example)

Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 AM

34 posts, read 149,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
or let it hang (altough who knows which way it will spray while it's hanging).
We thought about this but were afraid of the 'which way will it spray' situation. Thanks for the suggestions, will look into.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You take the hand held nozzle and hold it in your hand pointed away from you into the shower until it gets warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House