Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM

3,750 posts, read 12,410,031 times

Advertisements

Now that our summer drought seems to finally be easing a bit. We are getting our first look at drainage issues around our house. We have already fixed 2 areas but can't quite figure out what to do with this final one. The downspout drains the gutter system off of our 2 story family room roof area. The downspout is in the only position it can be in. The drain off the downspout was a corrigated plastic pipe that took water to the edge of the concrete walk where it unfortunately just flows right backinto the planting bed next to the house. We had a heavy rain yesterday and it flooded out the area shown in the picture. I dug out the corner of the area today to get a better look at what we are dealing with. Its all heavy clay. FYI - The garbage bag you see in the pictures is our temp fix to get the water over the center crest of the patio so it drains away from the house and into the yard. Although the "garbage bag system" is working, we need a more permenent solution and one that obviously looks better. Any ideas out there? I thought maybe a french drain across the front of the bed but draining to where. Its all surrounded by concrete! Here are the pics of the area.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
drainage problem-water-issues-001.jpg   drainage problem-water-issues-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
It's not that hard to do-
You'll need to tunnel under the sidewalk (or cut 5" away at the end) and install solid 4" corrugated pipe and extend it pass the sidewalk a couple of feet and then install a pop-up emitter-

They allow the water to surface drain, which is good for the yard, and good for the back- no need for 20'+ of ditch diggin' and or concrete removal and replacement.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Any good landscape guy would be able to tunnel under the walkway and run corrugated pipe to the a pop-up drain in the middle of the grass area. With that big 'ol crack where the drive meets the walkway this woud also be a heckuva an opportunity to bust that up, buy some nice hardscape and lay a nicer walkway... Probably about $150 labor and material for the tunnel option, about 7x more for the new walkway... I suspect it would enhance curb appeal and increase value / salability but that depends on how long you want to live with a big ol' crack...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's not that hard to do-
You'll need to tunnel under the sidewalk (or cut 5" away at the end) and install solid 4" corrugated pipe and extend it pass the sidewalk a couple of feet and then install a pop-up emitter-

They allow the water to surface drain, which is good for the yard, and good for the back- no need for 20'+ of ditch diggin' and or concrete removal and replacement.
Appreciate the suggestion. I haven't seen those pop up emitters anywhere. Can you give a brand name or suggest a retail location? I almost live at Lowes and Home Depot and haven't seen anything like this in plumbing or in the garden center. Also, I'm curious... what type of connection is used to join PVC to the corrugated drain tubing?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,894,397 times
A bigger fix would be to take out the concrete and replace with flagstone. Also put in the french drain under the flag stones and that will give maximum flow from the house away. If the rains get anyting like they dod here saturday night, all the water will run into the draina and over the flagstone if the drain is overwhelmed.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 AM

You can usually find them at the big boxes- if not, try garden centers/nurseries.
There are a couple of different types- the first example I posted was for PVC pipe (there is an adaptor for the corrugated) or if your lucky and someone knows what you're looking for there is one that made strictly for the corrugated-

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Take a piece of cvc pipe larger than the black drian pipe Dig to bring it into position to go under the sidewalk from front. Use a pressure washer in the end of pipe to washout the tunnel ;tap forward and keep gong until comes out on the other side of sidewalk. Then put the drain pipe thru and fill in with dirt.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Then put the drain pipe thru and fill in with dirt.

Drain pipes don't work well when filled with dirt- thought I'd mention.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Drain pipes don't work well when filled with dirt- thought I'd mention.
LOL - but other than that...its a good way to do it! I was kinda wondering how to get a pipe through our heavy Texas clay. PVC pipe & our power washer just might do it!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - but other than that...its a good way to do it! I was kinda wondering how to get a pipe through our heavy Texas clay. PVC pipe & our power washer just might do it!
Yes, that is the easiest way to do it. I was being facetious of tex's grammatical error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House