Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Śebb View Post
What would an electrician charge, and what is this process called? Wouldn't he essentially be doing the same thing- running 2 gauge cord to a panel? Would it have to be above ground?

I'm really surprised how difficult it is to find any information on this, I've been searching for hours!

The heavy gauge wire comes off your main panel, runs through conduit, underground, to another panel that you install in your shop. You would then have a few outlets and lights set out in your shop.

Hire an electrician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
What would an electrician charge, and what is this process called? Wouldn't he essentially be doing the same thing- running 2 gauge cord to a panel? Would it have to be above ground?

I'm really surprised how difficult it is to find any information on this, I've been searching for hours!
The difficulty of locating information suggests the impracticality, if not illegitimacy, of the extension cord idea.

If this is temporary--even for an entire summer--the generator is the best idea.

Water heater?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times
Lights you would get away with, water heater no way.
You cannot find info on this because its not done

Old 06-06-2014, 08:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Crane coming down in your area???

Quote:
Anyone here know an equation, or more importantly, where to buy heavy-duty long distance extension cords (300ft) to power a shop 300 ft from a plug? I know it needs to be low gauge but the cords seem to be sold by amps?
What I always did was take the power cord to the crane when it came down as it's usually thrown out.
I'd then make 50 and 100 foot extension cords out of it, but did find the commercial ends hard to source.
On the coast you have moisture and ground fault interruption circuits now mandatory, so you'd have to go to a 30 amp circuit minimum. It's something you'll have in a shop situation anyway.

If you location work outside is permanent run a power box.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:

If it was wired permanently, you could use aluminum service entrance wire which is way less than copper, to a sub panel for your garage. It would be run overhead or in a trench. If you are on some acreage, overhead is probably fine. you might also just call up the power company and see about getting a separate service run. Since it would be a new service, they would probably foot much of the cost depending on the setup (though obviously, you would have to pay whatever the base charge is per month)

Old 06-06-2014, 11:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Search google.com for the words...

voltage drop calculator

And with that, you would need to know the amps of everything you want to have running at the same time in your shop (total).

You can buy long 10 gauge "contractor" extension cords at home improvement stores. They cost a small fortune though. That would power many things in your shop - input the numbers into the voltage drop calculator.

Other than that, electric companies "step-up" the voltage on power lines to travel long distances.

So 3 solutions to your problem...

-A 10 gauge extension cord may work if the amperage of what you want running is not too much.

-An electrician could step-up, then back down the voltage, and use smaller wires going to the shed.

-Or an electrician could run a very large gauge wire to the shed.

Note: Some stores sell "large wire" extension cords and there is no wire gauge on the label. These are made to look big, but actually have a small gauge wire inside! Don't buy it unless the gauge of wire is printed on the label!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
I'm really surprised how difficult it is to find any information...
The information is right in front of you- the difficulty is your failure to see the cost and safety concerns associated with this cockamamie idea of yours.

The least expensive alternative is no power. The next; which I previously mentioned, is a generator- you can purchase on that can handle most of your needs for about $250+(depending on brand). After that, getting a separate service for the building- at least with this you would have no restriction as to what you could run.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
Can i run an extension cord 100 ft to my air cond its a 110 unit for a couple of nights

Old 08-17-2017, 08:42 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla carr View Post
Can i run an extension cord 100 ft to my air cond its a 110 unit for a couple of nights
No

Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
at 15 amp 115v you are talking an almost 8 volt drop on a #14 ext cord . that is unacceptable. if you can get a #12 ext cord , that is better , the drop is about 4.76 volts .

that could be marginal if your power is up around 120v and the utility does not cut power .
but in general it is not a good idea , the lower the voltage the greater the current drawn and the more demand put on components and your extension cord .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House