Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 AM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 255,791 times

Advertisements

This fall I'd like to build a fire pit in my back yard. Does anyone have a good step by step guide or tutorial? Nothing fancy but a small to medium sized pit just for maybe 4-6 people to stand around in the winter. This would be wood burning not gas, etc.

Not sure if I want to go round or square. Any pros and cons or is it just a personal choice? Is one easier to build than the other?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Check youtube, there are tons of great step-by-step videos on how to build a fire pit.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:37 AM

1,745 posts, read 879,049 times
There's one here: How to Make a Backyard Fire Pit | Landscaping Ideas and Hardscape Design | HGTV

And another one here: How to Build a Fire Pit | This Old House

Check this the FD first since most have regulations on how far from a structure they have to be. And some towns require a permit each time you use it.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:18 AM

671 posts, read 900,617 times
I bought a circular kit from Lowes. It was just the stones bricks. I believe it was 3 bricks in height and was decent sized.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lowe...i0lDNMh0kgM%3A

Mine was like that but a different color. The black metal piece did rust pretty quickly though.

If you want to cook over the pit, it is probably better to design a square one. If it's more to just burn stuff and have a couple beers and maybe roast s'mores a circular one is nice. It is a bit more social.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:07 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Wink Put a pack of frozen tofu dogs in the cooler and every fire is a "cooking fire".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Check this the FD first since most have regulations on how far from a structure they have to be. And some towns require a permit each time you use it.
Definitely check with the fire department and also read state & local regulations carefully.

Often there is an exception for "cooking fires", so you might want to build your fire pit with provisions for putting a grill on top, then you just need a pack of hot dogs in the cooler and every fire is a "cooking fire".

Old 09-26-2015, 05:58 PM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 255,791 times
Thanks. I have searched google and youtube. I've got a decent idea of what I want but it's always good to ask a real forum with other people.

I'll take a look at the links, etc. If anyone here has pics of theirs I am always interested. It'll be a few weeks or so before I do this.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:02 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The best firepits are far from those links (not talkin' hot dogs either!)-

Well designed pits have fire brick lining the inside. The bottom of the pit is domed so water doesn't collect and the wall has air vents at the base that serve as drains for water as well.

A sand or gravel base will hold moisture and makes cleaning out ash near impossible. Using landscape/retaining wall block is OK for the exterior, but not alone. Concrete block can do crazy things when wet/saturated and exposed to high heat- that's the reason for the fire brick lining.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
All the big box home improvement stores have sales material from the block/paver manufactures that have fire pit plans. Many will show various configuration from small round ones to elaborate ones with a waterfall or TV stand built in. Those brochures may even tell you exactly how many small, medium , or large pavers you will needs and in what order to install them. At my local Lowes, if you take the brochure to the CS desk, they will calculate what you need and even pull and bundle the items for you. They also have several premade kits with inserts and ember screens.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Old 09-27-2015, 11:37 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
That doesn't look like the upper section of Dodger Stadium- but the seats sure do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House