Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 AM

613 posts, read 944,125 times

Advertisements

I have a somewhat ugly concrete front porch (picture #1) that is "too high" (11") to just step up to comfortably. Reason is that when they poured the asphalt for the driveway, for some reason the asphalt slopes downward 1 or 2 inches lower leading up to the porch. So since I bought the house, I've been using a little step-stool that's about 9" high.

I had a couple of different landscape guys look at it--they both suggested a granite step, or stoop in front of the porch. And they'd cut into the asphalt to get it situated properly. For between $300 & $550. Problem was, I couldn't either one to show up to do the work.

Oh, & the asphalt near the porch, besides sloping down towards the porch, it also slants down a bit from right to left. A guy doing a ton of work on the house next door said he could build a step out of the kind of decking material (shown in the 2nd photo, from my 2nd entryway) for around $240. To be about 36" wide & either 10 3/4" or 16 1/4" deep. (2, or 3, of the decking planks). I can't figure out how he could make it level, both from front to back, & L. to R.; both sloping? But he does good work.

I'm also thinking the front step should be more like 14 1/2" deep instead of 10 3/4", just for more stability, this is the entryway that I use to bring in supplies, etc. Any advice? I could keep looking for someone to install a granite step, but this guy is still working next door this coming week, so he could do it then he says.

TIA for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a step to this front porch--granite? Or decking material?-dsc_0002.jpg   Adding a step to this front porch--granite? Or decking material?-dsc_0003.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I'd put in a red brick step if I could get matching brick, but the decking material step looks good, too.

I'd be afraid that granite would be slippery when wet.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd put in a red brick step if I could get matching brick, but the decking material step looks good, too.

I'd be afraid that granite would be slippery when wet.

It's probably a rough surface concrete not polished countertop concrete

Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Since the porch already has a brick border- I'd stick with brick.

Besides, a mason can "cheat" the height, course, and levelness with the mortar. As much as I like granite for steps (they'll last 3-4 lifetimes)- there will be too many different materials in your situation.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,146 times
I'd match what is there already, cinder block base with the brick top. The decking wouldn't match anything at all and just make it look out of place. Make sure the moisture is addressed before you do anything, dig out and put a proper base and backfill for drainage.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Besides, a mason can "cheat" the height, course, and levelness with the mortar. As much as I like granite for steps (they'll last 3-4 lifetimes)- there will be too many different materials in your situation.
KB is correct^^^

Old 08-21-2017, 06:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I would just get a pre-made concrete step and stick it in there. They do not cost much. It would match the concrete porch. And you can install in in an hour.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

^^ this would look nice -- and I would add a cement sidewalk as well, even if a short one.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 AM

613 posts, read 944,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I'd match what is there already, cinder block base with the brick top. The decking wouldn't match anything at all and just make it look out of place. Make sure the moisture is addressed before you do anything, dig out and put a proper base and backfill for drainage.
1. Can you elaborate on the "dig out and put a proper base and backfill for drainage"? Dig out some of the asphalt?

2. The problem with trying to match the old concrete porch with the row of bricks--besides trying to find a mason to do a brick step?--is that that porch is not only ugly, but it doesn't really match anything else on the house anymore. The porch dates back to when the house was built in the early '60's I think; while almost everything else on the exterior has been updated: new-ish vinyl siding, replacement windows, roofing, soffits, storm doors, etc.

I had wondered if trying to cover the porch with the kind of grey decking material would work? Probably a lot of pitfalls with that? Or getting the concrete refinished or stained?

Plus, the asphalt walkway is ugly. A hardscape guy said about $6K for a new paver walkway, granite step, & some landscaping around it all. I've seen his work, it's beautiful. But the house is worth maybe $375K, so $6K seems extravagant.

Q.--If I went with the grey decking material step--given the un-levelness of the asphalt in front of the porch--is it practical to think they could make it really level? He said he could "fasten it" to the porch somehow. Thing is--they're around this week, working on the house next door--major remodel--(& those neighbors aren't stupid--they're the ones who picked that hardscape co. to do a beautiful patio).

And I'd have a 36" wide step, for $240.....as opposed to that little rubber step-stool in one of the photos......also this is in NH; I'd love to have it done before another Winter....
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a step to this front porch--granite? Or decking material?-dsc_0012.jpg   Adding a step to this front porch--granite? Or decking material?-dsc_0011.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I have a somewhat ugly concrete front porch (picture #1) that is "too high" (11") to just step up to comfortably. Reason is that when they poured the asphalt for the driveway, for some reason the asphalt slopes downward 1 or 2 inches lower leading up to the porch. So since I bought the house, I've been using a little step-stool that's about 9" high.

I had a couple of different landscape guys look at it--they both suggested a granite step, or stoop in front of the porch. And they'd cut into the asphalt to get it situated properly. For between $300 & $550. Problem was, I couldn't either one to show up to do the work.

Oh, & the asphalt near the porch, besides sloping down towards the porch, it also slants down a bit from right to left. A guy doing a ton of work on the house next door said he could build a step out of the kind of decking material (shown in the 2nd photo, from my 2nd entryway) for around $240. To be about 36" wide & either 10 3/4" or 16 1/4" deep. (2, or 3, of the decking planks). I can't figure out how he could make it level, both from front to back, & L. to R.; both sloping? But he does good work.

I'm also thinking the front step should be more like 14 1/2" deep instead of 10 3/4", just for more stability, this is the entryway that I use to bring in supplies, etc. Any advice? I could keep looking for someone to install a granite step, but this guy is still working next door this coming week, so he could do it then he says.

TIA for any feedback.
You have a very pretty and classic home. Several things could enhance your front area.

Red brick walkway could be integrated here because of that red brick trim. An additional step of red brick could take care of your slope and the irregular height at the main step as well. Another option could be a poured cement walkway trimmed in red brick. I have added a link with ideas for red brick walkways below.

The neighbor's handy man sounds reasonable....ask for an estimate. Maybe you could do a red brick step now coming off that existing step, and add more walkway later, next summer as you can afford it. You could use a driveway cleaner to clean off that concrete step and it would help also, or perhaps a skim coat of fresh cement.

Link to red brick walkway examples.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ures&FORM=IGRE

Last edited by JanND; 08-21-2017 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House